FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shutter Speed Suggestion for Badminton Game?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mahinthan So
Shutter Speed Suggestion for Badminton Game?
on Oct 15, 2012 at 6:41:33 am

I'm learning. I've shot some parties and functions before. Normally i use 24fps because to get more light and the flim feel. While i shoot in 24fps i keep my shutter at 50. and it worked well for parties and stuff happens in night. I will be with in 100-400 iso while shooting in f/1.4-2.8

Now first time i want to try a badminton game. This is the first time i'm about to shoot a sports in video. I've done stills so many times. For the stills i've used the shutter speed of 1/100 there 1 out of 5 is the keeper. I like to have a small blur some time in stills. But if i have only shot to do definitely it will be 1/750. But how i have to set in video? I can't keep in f/1.4 because it is too shallow and difficult to focus by hand. I think f2.8 is manageable but prefer f4. I don't have fast wide angle lens. I have 50 1.4usm and 18-135 zoom lens. So please clear me about the shutter suggestions though my question is not clear. :D

Any other ideas and suggestions also mostly welcome since i'm a noob.

I don't have any lighting accessories. My camera is T2i.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Shutter Speed Suggestion for Badminton Game?
on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:40:48 am

Sports-videography IMHO is no different to any other kind of videography. To achieve smooth motion the rule of thumb is - just like you wrote - "shutterspeed = 2 x framerate". If you use higher shutterspeeds, especially with fast movement of the subject or the camera, the result will be strobing and what you descibed as flickering.
I did a lot of tennis-videos the last couple of years (not with my DSLR though) and almost always used a shutterspeed of 50 @ 25p (or 50i - to be more precise). The max. shutterspeed I found useable was 100. Higher than that gave me too much stuttering for my taste and needs.

Concerning DOF: I'd guess it depends a lot on what you're about to do with the footage and what you're aiming for. Shooting sports with a DSLR is very hard, *because* of the shallow DOF and the not very ... well ... easy handling ... If you want to achieve a "filmic" look, shallow DOF is a must, but very hard to maintain focus, especially with a 50mm on a crop-camera (on the T2i the 50mm is an 80mm on a full-frame, therefore a "telephoto" lens).

I'd try to use the highest f-stop possible, to get the narrowest DOF. Even with f8 or so you'll get more "filmic" pictures than on a camcorder with a much smaller sensor. A wide-angle lens would be perfect.

Hope this helps a bit...

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Mahinthan So
on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:54:50 am

Thank you so much..

As i thought.. A positive reply :D...

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 15, 2012 at 11:24:32 am

Glad I helped!

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]