FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good, cheap DSLR video bag

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Davies
Good, cheap DSLR video bag
on Oct 12, 2012 at 12:18:59 am

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good cheap video DSLR bag? I'm looking to be able to fit a 550D body, and several lenses (both zooms and primes) as well as rails, a follow focus, a laptop, sound gear (shotgun mic and misc. cords) and possibly a tripod and/or a handheld rig. I know that with a tripod and handheld rig, it will get to be a big bag, but that's fine with me. My main problem is paying $300 for a BAG!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Good, cheap DSLR video bag
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:04:32 am

Crumpler makes nice inexpensive bags. Of course you might want to add a bit of padding depending on how hard you'll be using it.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:18:28 am

I guess the question is - is 300 dollars a lot to pay to insure that 5 or 6 thousand dollars worth of equipment doesn't get trashed if it gets dropped, rained on, or otherwise compromised? I'm as cheap as the next guy, so while shopping around for a really good, protective case makes sense, cheaping out on it doesn't. I've had really good luck, and good prices, from Lowepro cases. But of course even from Lowepro, something big with wheels is going to be over 200 dollars. I would suggest you check B&H prices on whatever you get, they're often the best price, and they ship really quick (and I'm in no way affiliated with them, other than buying lots of gear from them).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 12, 2012 at 4:44:40 pm

I'm a huge fan of my Case Logic backpack and other bags. I have their SLR camera backpack (I got mine for about $100 and I LOVE it) and a couple camera bags and slings for various purposes (one I got at a thrift store of all places for $3, brand new!). Now, that backpack doesn't have room for the tripod/monopod so I bungee/rope them either over the top or along the bottom (it slides too much to secure to the sides). I'm guessing you're doing some hiking so remember to leave room for food and water! :)

Case Logic: http://www.caselogic.com/en-US/US/Products/Camera-Cases/SLR-Camera-Bags

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Oct 12, 2012 at 5:16:57 pm

For the fragile equipment, camera & lenses; You should keep them separate from the heavy tripod, etc. gear.

You can buy a suitcase and some pick and pluck foam to have custom spots for your lenses and camera.

Personally, I have a hardshell Pelican that cost a bit more, but it worth it, especially for travel. But for my other video cameras, I bought a nice carry on suitcase from Walmart and lined it with dense foam. It's worked great and I have extra outer zippers for storage of extra gear.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Lisa Talley
on Oct 19, 2012 at 7:10:55 pm

This has made it on my wish list recently... Might be worth looking at.

Nifty dslr backpack

Lisa Talley
Sacramento Video Production

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 26, 2012 at 10:41:14 pm

There are lots of great bags now, but look at Thinktank. Not cheap, but not out of line for what you get, imho. They have really thought about "the bag," and it shows.

I'm also very fond of
(1) a small hip bag or beltpack. They can be very simple, cheap, just enough to hold an extra lens or other items; it's a lot easier to carry stuff around your waist. I use mine not just for DSLR shoots but for regular videography gigs when I'm on the run, don't want to be encumbered with a shoulder bag, and need more storage than the pockets in a photo vest provide.

(2) the "Capture" clip from Peak Design. This was a Kickstarter project, I believe. You attach a quick-release (Arca or Manfrotto RC2, I think) to your camera, wear their "Capture" clip on your belt or other strap, then just snap the camera in and out, rather than wearing it around your neck all day. I have not yet had the chance to use mine on a job, but I'm looking forward to it. I'd be curious what other people think about it. It's so neat that I'm trying to think of what else I could use this for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]