FORUMS: list search recent posts

24fps to 25fps

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Ralston
24fps to 25fps
on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:54:55 pm

Hello,

I am cutting a multicam edit of a wedding shot on 2 5D mkII cameras and a 550D. Unfortunately, the cam op shooting the 550D shot at 23.98fps instead of 25fps. Can anyone recommend the best way to convert it?

Thank you in advance,

Steve

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: 24fps to 25fps
on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:47:07 am

Hi Steve,

Most NLE's can work with multiple frame rates, Premiere I know does, not sure what you use but that shouldn't be an issue for the most part.

At least according to Richard Harrington's book about Premiere with the caution to set the sequences for the most pervasive frame rate.

Any audio drift between 25/23.97 will be negligible in short clips.

I'm working through four cameras, 2, D7K's, (23.97), a 5D2, (29.97) and a T2i, (29.97.

Things look pretty good regardless, and all were converted to CineForm for editing.

HTH's

Others may have different suggestions.

Rob

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:55:16 pm

A very common method is the so called "PAL speedup". Thats the way 24p movies are broadcasted on tv in Europe. Just tell your NLE to treat the 24p clips as 25p ("Interpret footage"). You'll notice a speedup of about 4% and a slight pitch in audio.
A simpler way is to just put your 24p footage into a 25p sequence. Just like Steve wrote, Premiere does that more or less flawlessly. Sometimes you might notice stuttering in your clips. That's because there's no simple mathematical way to convert 23.976 to 25. But most of the time it'll work quite good.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:23:28 pm

[Peter Burger] "Just like Steve wrote"

Sorry, Typo... Just like *Rob* wrote...

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

shur harewood
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:17:42 am

Hi Cinema Tool on the Mac can transcode this or use Compressor with convert the footage before putting it into the time or Adobe media encoder to adjust your frame rates

Shot, Edit and Enjoy
United By Photography
http://unitedbyphotography.com

Return to posts index

Steve Ralston
on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:37:14 am

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I have converted some of it with Compressor. The frame blending is excellent but it has darkened the image somewhat, does anyone know why this could be? It does also take absolutely AGES. 22 minutes of clips literally took 4 days to convert and I've another hour of stuff to do. Compressor is currently telling me that'll take 1444 hours!! I'm sure it's getting confused but still......

I also tried transcoding and converting within Avid MC. The results are terrible. They give a very unnatural feeling clip with lots of ghosting.

I've never tried Cinema Tools. Does anyone think that will be faster? (It can't be slower surely!!) Will it frame blend or will it result in the clips playing faster to make up the the frame diff. I don't think I'll be able to use a speeded up clip as I'm cutting a 3 camera shoot.

Any suggestions, gratefully received.

Tahnks,

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]