FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project/File Backup Solutions

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Giardina
Project/File Backup Solutions
on Oct 2, 2012 at 11:43:08 pm

Hi…

Is anyone using Cloud Storage for Backup?

Best Regards!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
Re: Project/File Backup Solutions
on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:50:14 am

I think I’ll answer this myself… looks like a raid is the way to go. G-Technologht has a 4TB with 2 drives, so it would be a fairly safe and cost effective solution to protect video assets. is anyone using one?

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:45:55 am

good luck with that. in raid 0, if either drive fails, you're screwed on both drives. Also, firewire 800 is significantly slower than e-sata.

Raid 0+1 or 5 can increase speed and prevent data lost, but they require more than 2 drives. Raid 4 doesn't increase speed but it adds the capacity of drives together and protects again data lost also.

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:28:58 pm

What's your setup Chris?

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:54:18 am

Nope - I don't find it to be a practical solution when dealing with the large file sizes associated with video production , plus my DSL connection was rated an "F" by Speedtest.com

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 3, 2012 at 9:45:42 pm

I double-backup my source material on external USB3 drives. For project-files I sometimes use Dropbox ("increment and save" to my Dropbox-folder)

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Oct 4, 2012 at 2:13:56 pm

I backup my source material (DSLR video & ZOOM audio files) to both external USB hard drive and Blu-ray disc(s).

My project files I have being backed up every day automatically to another drive on my system. I occasionally do it to Dropbox as well.

For edit masters, if they are not already going to Blu-ray, I have been encoding them to H.264, and burning them on Blu-ray data discs. I figure I can always convert my H.264 files back to ProRes with minimal quality loss if necessary (I do mostly weddings, so I'm sure 99% of my wedding clients wouldn't notice the difference...but this is also after they have approved the final product, too). Or alternatively, I can transcode my DSLR source files back to ProRes again and open up my Final Cut Pro project file and make changes there (I'd have to re-render everything, but that's okay).

I think in the past 15 years, I've had maybe 5 projects come back after awhile needing changes, and most of those have been corporate projects where I know there will probably be changes after a few years, and I have backed those projects up a bit more extensively.

I had one of those earlier this year, but I think it's been easily 5+ years since the last one before that required changes of any kind. As long as it's possible...somehow...I'm content.

Casey

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:04:33 pm

Thanks Guys!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:55:22 pm

Nope, since most of my storage is archival. I would rather purchase the extra hard drives. The amount of file size would probably be cost prohibitive since cost is largely limiting to gigs.

It is nice to have your files in another location in case of fire.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

shur harewood
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:28:40 am

The Adobe Anywhere and creative cloud solutions look good, but also in the field and offline I look to nexto di card cloner that copies and verifies that data with bit parity checking to maintain data integrity then use shotput pro to copy to an external gtech mini drive and raid set up - afterwards archive project and files to DVD or Bluray

Shot, Edit and Enjoy
Freelance HD and DSLR camera producer and trainer.
Enjoying the fruits and passion of living life to the full.
United By Photography
http://unitedbyphotography.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]