FORUMS: list search recent posts

AWB or presets/kelvin dial in how to and what to use?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Pimentel
AWB or presets/kelvin dial in how to and what to use?
on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:02:18 pm

Hey Guys,

I am using AWB almost all the time. I want to start dialing in my kelvin, just not confident with how to read or see color temperature and how to adjust and dial in my kelvin in regards to the right color temperature. Is there any tutorial videos or any guide on how to get the right kelvin settings. Are most people using AWB or dialing in there kelvin or using presets?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: AWB or presets/kelvin dial in how to and what to use?
on Sep 26, 2012 at 10:32:16 pm

I've been using the Philip Bloom custom picture profile settings however I have seen a tutorial video from Still Motion on creatively dialing in specific color temperatures to achieve desired looks - I suggest you look for that.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Sep 27, 2012 at 2:06:13 pm

I've found that I get the most consistent and realistic results using the Daylight color preset in the camera. It gets a little warm in the early morning and late evening hours outdoors and a little blue at dusk and dawn but the color is consistent. I only use Auto if the lighting is mixed or Tungsten - the little lightbulb logo - in extra warm lighting.
Kelvin will give the same effect as the presets but I find it easier just to go with the camera's preset settings. Trying to figure out exact Kelvin settings will just frustrate you in the end. You can also shoot something white and use that as a custom white balance but I only do that in extremely strange lighting. Otherwise, I just let the camera do its thing.

Return to posts index

shur harewood
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:52:18 am

I float between preset and kelving settings, I don't use auto , I know others that prefer awb and auto iris for shooting. It seems if it works for you use it.

Shoot, Edit and Enjoy
United By Photography

United By Photography

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]