FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring Exposure (overexposed and underexposed) on Canon DSLR 5D Mark III

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Pimentel
Monitoring Exposure (overexposed and underexposed) on Canon DSLR 5D Mark III
on Sep 24, 2012 at 3:48:27 pm

Hey guys what is your process for monitoring exposure when shooting video on DSLR (5D Mark III, 7D, 60D)

Are you guys always watching the exposure meter in the middle and making sure its in the middle? What other ways can we make sure and monitor exposure when shooting video on Canon DSLR? I usually just use the exposure metering to guide if I am under or over exposed. What are the other ways you can make sure you properly exposed?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Monitoring Exposure (overexposed and underexposed) on Canon DSLR 5D Mark III
on Sep 24, 2012 at 4:46:19 pm

The free Magic Lantern firmware upgrade offers things like zebra stripes to help keep from over exposing images but I just use the exposure compensation meter and typically will try to underexpose a stop or a bit more. Protecting the highlights is important because once the camera records pure white in over exposed areas you are kinda screwed! :-)

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Pimentel
Re: Monitoring Exposure (overexposed and underexposed) on Canon DSLR 5D Mark III
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:14:57 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve, definitely use the exposure compensation as well a guide most of the time. Is it better to be a little bit over exposed or under? I have people saying it's better to be overexposed, and some people saying it's better to be under exposed.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:17:57 pm

Under for the reasons I explained

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]