FORUMS: list search recent posts

What settings would you use for this specific shot ?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest Breliere
What settings would you use for this specific shot ?
on Sep 22, 2012 at 8:02:32 pm

Hi fellow filmmakers,

I'm writing because I have a little cinematography challenge on the shooting of a makeup brushes advertising clip, and I'm wondering whether any of you could give me a piece of advice on what settings I should use. I should mention that I'm not a trained DOP, I'm getting to know the skills of my 7D, which I sometimes have to operate myself.

I'd like to get slow-motion images of the brushes falling vertically before the lens, spinning and bouncing on the ground in medium shot and medium closeup (this, in slow-mo http://vimeo.com/10109873). In order to get a sharp enough focus, I have to set the shutter speed high, but I loose light and must therefore increase the iso. The result as you've already guessed is too much noise. I'm using a 7d at 60 fps and two kino lights in a studio, and then I slow the images down using twixtor in final cut.

- What settings would you use in order to do this shot ? The brushes don't have to be perfectly in focus, but the image should be clean.
- Do I really have to increase the shutter speed or should I stay at 1/60 ?

I look forward to your replies,
Thanks !
Ernest

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: What settings would you use for this specific shot ?
on Sep 22, 2012 at 8:43:37 pm

You bring up an interesting point regarding shutter speed and focus...a slower shutter speed will introduce more motion blur into the image and I guess you consider motion blur to be a focus issue but I really don't. What I am saying is that a video image can be acceptably sharp and yet still have shutter blur - my "proof" if you will is pretty much the entire history of modern filmmaking that using a 180 degree shutter with relatively slow shutter speeds like 1/50, 1/60...I am open to being corrected however.

So, short answer, lower your shutter speed and enjoy the more "filmic" smooth and yes blurred image! Any one else care to comment?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 23, 2012 at 1:19:18 am

to get the brushes in slow motion, you'll need at least 1/400 excluding any camera movement you're using.

Also, a camera that can shoot higher than 60 fps will alleviate needing to twixtor anything.

If you don't have enough light, you'll also run into the problem of depth of field plus higher iso.

You will need brighter lights or try to bring them closer. i.e. inverse square power of light.

Return to posts index

Ernest Breliere
on Sep 23, 2012 at 7:36:31 am

So there are little chances to get clear images with that gear I guess ?

The 7D is the only available camera, and there will only be a couple of short shots in the whole add, so no dramatic rendering.

Yet, why would 1/400 be better than 1/60 if it is only to get the brushes in slow motion, regardless of the sharpness ?

The kino lights are rather powerful, so if I bring them close enough with full power, I might be able to shut the iris so much that I'll get a decent depths of field I suppose.

Thanks to both of you.

Return to posts index

Arne Barnard
on Dec 2, 2012 at 3:18:23 am

If you're "LOOSING" ( it's really "losing") light because of a high shutter speed, then use *more* light, to make up for it!!! ( I think!)

Give it a try , at least....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]