FORUMS: list search recent posts

T4I dslr Fixed focal range lens?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert King
T4I dslr Fixed focal range lens?
on Sep 22, 2012 at 4:53:45 pm

Hello, I have the new canon t4i, but I I don't want to have to manually focus my video constantly. Is there some kind of fixed lens I can get for it for film that has no Depth of field or focal range.I currently have the 18-55mm EF-S IS II, if there might be a way to set it up so depth of field isn't an issue.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: T4I dslr Fixed focal range lens?
on Sep 22, 2012 at 8:50:29 pm

You had me a bit confused but if you don't want to manually focus your camera then you place the lens in auto focus mode. Now this means that the camera will constantly be hunting for focus and as you move the camera to focus on different elements in the scene - you'll hear the mechanical/motor sounds of the lens moving in and out and the image will be blurry at first and then one or two seconds later it should settle down to an in-focus image. The noise and the out-of-focus-to-in-focus transition is what keeps most of us from using auto focus.

Depth of field is an entirely different issue having to do with your aperture setting - again you could use a more automated video mode to have the camera select an aperture for you but any choice you make involves compromises/adjustments - there are no magic bullets per se. You could shoot fully automatic in video mode but then you are giving up lots of control and you probably will not achieve a very "filmic" look but that may not matter to you - it does to me which is why I film on full manual, not automatic anything but, yes, that is more involved and mistakes and, errrr...."stuff" does happen!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Robert King
on Sep 22, 2012 at 11:33:31 pm

Well though I'm pretty sure you answered my question, I'll try to make it a little less confusing since I have no Idea yet what I am doing with this type of camera. I have always used 200-400$ "Camcorders" and when I filmed with them, say I sat a cup 6 inches away from the camera on a table, it's clear and in focus. Now, 15 to 20 or even 30 feet behind it the wall and the pictures on said wall are in focus as well. That's what I am trying to accomplish with the T4I, I just want all Depth of the scene in focus... Since I have never even had a camera with a lens worth a flip much less something like a T4I, I have NO idea how to get those results. Or if I even can with this kind of camera.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Sep 22, 2012 at 11:47:38 pm

Yes, what you want is a DEEP depth of field meaning the background is in focus...that is controlled by the lens aperture or the size of the hole letting light into the lens- the higher the aperture number the deeper the depth of field gets (also the picture will get darker but you can compensate for that)

Read the manual to learn how to adjust aperture - there are several modes you can put the camera in to do this.

Consumer camcorders have very small sensor chips in them which has a side effect of giving you that deep depth of field automatically but it is also a very "video-y" like which is why you will hear most HD DSLR shooters talk about SHALLOW depth of field and "the film look" - the opposite of what you are going for, which is okay.

Honestly, learn how to film in manual mode if you really want to understand this stuff - it WILL be worth the hassle.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Robert King
on Sep 23, 2012 at 12:52:34 am

Well I thank you very much, that answered what I needed to know. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]