FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wierd Banding issue looks like hat in Back to the Future 2??

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donavon Thomas
Wierd Banding issue looks like hat in Back to the Future 2??
on Sep 13, 2012 at 7:10:43 am

I need some help here. We have a shot that's in a Feature that is really acting weird.

Banding shirt issue

The DP put the settings on sharp for a 5D and there is this weird banding issue that happened on the back of a shirt. I understand how prevent this from happening in the future. But I can't go back and re-shoot.

Does anyone know of any techniques to get rid of this problem in Post. Have tried D-Noising, Color Timing takes out all the colors, made a color window no avail. We have an all pro team for VFX (after effects etc) and a colorist working in Da Vincii Resolve...with no luck.

It's going to look awful on the big screen and really is bad when viewed full res. Looks like Marty's hat in Back the Future 2.

Any thoughts would be a appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Wierd Banding issue looks like hat in Back to the Future 2??
on Sep 13, 2012 at 4:29:45 pm

Try using the motion blur filter and seeing if that can fix this issue for you. Let us know if it works for you or not. By the way, what did you learn to prevent this issue from happening in the future?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Donavon Thomas
on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:20:11 pm

I am probably going to have to move this to the VFX section.

We did try all the blur effects. They just blur the image. The problem does not go away. Even if you isolate the shirt.

We are probably going to have to roto out the shirt and attack it in after effects.

The image has a banding with contrast as well as color.

The issue was a sharpness setting on the camera. Set to TOO SHARP. We shot 64 hours of footage and this was the only time we had this specific issue. It was a second unit shot with a different DP. There were other times with moray because of shirts, but nothing like this. I believe the camera is trying to process too many colors as a 422.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:49:32 pm

Try Jorgen Escher's free DSLR Moire filter:
http://colorbyjorg.wordpress.com/plugins/

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 14, 2012 at 2:10:27 am

here's a free moire and flicker remover i made in ae.

I used timewarp/timestretch to remove flicker then set shutter blade to 3,000 to blur the moving pixels and median 50 adjustment layer transfer color to remove banding color. Looks pretty darn good.

no moire ae cs5.5
http://www.mediafire.com/?rv35xwyl6wcjd33

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]