FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lens choice for shooting video indoors?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Lens choice for shooting video indoors?
on Sep 12, 2012 at 3:02:29 am

I have a shoot coming up next weekend where part of the shoot will take place inside a big arena and the other half will be outside. Just trying to get a gauge on what might be a good lens to use on the inside. I am shooting with a Nikon D7000 and will have an onboard LED light. I did a test tonight where I put my 85mm 1.4 on but I had to bump up the ISO to between 800 and 1200 with the light on to be satisfied with the image I was getting. I used the 85mm just for the sake of the test. I would like to use a wider lens for the actual shoot since I will be shooting interviews and b-roll.

Thanks.

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Lens choice for shooting video indoors?
on Sep 12, 2012 at 6:09:02 am

Chuck - I recommend the $500 Rokinon/Samyang 35mm f1.4. Or for $50 more you can get the cine version (iris de-clicked and geared for follow-focus).

Philip Bloom likes this lens for video.

Same speed as your 85mm, though, so you may need to keep your ISO up.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:50:53 am

+1 for the Samyang 35mm f/1.4.

I put together a rigging guide with lens suggestions here. It's for the D800, but the lenses work well for DX cameras too.

You'll ideally need f/2.8 and larger for low light. Shooting in ISO 800 is okay.

The disadvantage with larger apertures is pulling focus becomes tough - especially if you're a one-man crew. Hope this helps.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 12, 2012 at 4:45:47 pm

Using a wider lens, 24 mm or below, sometimes gives you a little fishy look and can make a clients face look fat. It's better to stay above 50mm for interviews.

I would go below 2.8 for interviews. If you shoot at 1.2, the bokeh is too much. It's better to be able to see some of the background to place them at the location and allow your viewer to actually make out the shapes and objects.....even though they are slightly blurred with the shallow depth of field.

Many people think that the lower the aperture....1.2 for example....the better. Sometimes it is, but only if you don't want to reveal what is in the room or location. Lenses tell stories. Some project different emotion. Some can detract from your purpose.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite