FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting A Weekend Timelapse

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James de Boer
Shooting A Weekend Timelapse
on Sep 6, 2012 at 5:51:45 pm

I'm planning on shooting a full weekend timelapse on the 5D MK3 of a highway project here in Vancouver in a few weeks. There will be lots of action going on and we're getting it from a few different angles... The question I have and I know it has been asked many times but what are the best exposure settings? I have heard that "AUTO" is a bad idea but I've also heard (From Phillip Bloom) that Auto isn't a bad idea...

The thing is that this will literally be going ALL weekend (Friday- Sunday) and I would love to capture the day turning into night and then getting light again etc...

I mean the details are still being hammered out but I just wanted to get a little insight on what the best way to expose for this type of thing because I've heard that if you shoot everything in AUTO you will get mad flickering when you put it together but if you shoot it in MANUAL it just throws a wrench into everything... So what is the solution?

I've played around with both styles and even tried to manually bump up the aperture in intervals when the darkness comes but that adds flicker right there...

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Shooting A Weekend Timelapse
on Sep 7, 2012 at 9:04:49 am

Here's a thread about this subject: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/493552-60-day-time-...

I strongly recommend full manual mode, manual focus, with exposure bracketing. The bracketing will help you with the day for night scenario.

The 5DIII doesn't have a decent intervalometer, so you'll need something like this one.

Shooting this way gives you balanced images that will make post production a lot easier.

Hope this helps.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

James de Boer
on Sep 10, 2012 at 6:38:37 pm

Hey Sareesh,

Thanks for the link. We do have intravelometers on deck and will for sure be using them for this project. Anyway, thanks a lot. Seems like bracketing will be the best bet for the day to night portions of the event.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 11, 2012 at 7:51:55 pm

...and run a test before you do it for real.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]