FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Looks Flat on Computer

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliott Powell
Video Looks Flat on Computer
on Aug 3, 2012 at 4:25:15 pm

Hi everyone I just joined this forum because I have a problem I've been wondering about for a while now. I use a Sony A77 with an 18-250mm lens, and on my camera screen my video look wonderful. However when I upload the footage (AVCHD 1080/60p) to Premiere it looks very soft and flat. Photos when I upload to the computer look just as good as on camera.

I checked to see if it had something to do with how I uploaded it by looking at footage I imported to premiere from my hard drive (which is external if that matters) and comparing to the same footage straight from my camera (plugged into my computer with a usb) and it looked the same. I thought it could be my monitor but other peoples videos with the same camera on youtube look great (with no color correction), while mine don't. I also looked at it on other computers and it still looked the same.

This is an example of what I'm talking about

and this is one of the videos I was comparing it to

. I have an iMac if that matters and both of those videos used the standard creative filter. Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Paul Esteves
Re: Video Looks Flat on Computer
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:07:16 pm

Lighting, settings, lenses, etc. All of those play a huge factor. The LCD on the camera can be quite misleading as its small and it often adds brightness so that you can see it more clearly. I'm not sure how confident you are as a videographer? But, I'd suggest reading a bit about settings and how to shoot on a DSLR.

The lighting in the second video is very different to the lighting in your video. I mean the natural lighting and the way it was captured.

Return to posts index

Elliott Powell
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:56:45 pm

Yeah I noticed that when there is a lot of light its not as much as a problem. Are you saying I should try overexposing a bit when it looks right on the LCD? Also I think part of the problem might be how I'm uploading to youtube, because if you compare the two videos at 360p, his looks a lot cleaner, so any tips on export settings? I tried a lot of different things with that with no significant change.

Return to posts index

Paul Esteves
on Aug 6, 2012 at 8:43:24 pm

I'm not too familiar with Sony DSLRs. Do you shoot on full manuel or does it set the exposure for you? What kind of aperture are you using when shooting this video? What is your shutter speed?

As for the uploading issue. If when you bring the footage onto your computer it does not look like you want it to look, then it's not your exporting. Does it not look right in Premiere before export? If not, then don't worry about your export settings.

I have a canon 60D. When I shoot video in the same locations as I shoot still shots, if I use my settings correctly, the video comes out with the same lighting and image quality. However, I often have to change the settings for video. I usually bump up my ISO and increase my shutter speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]