FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black background grain and noise problems

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Gilbert
Black background grain and noise problems
on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:46:29 pm

Hey guys this is my first time posting on creativecow.net, I hope everyone is going good.

Im in desperate need of some wisdom and guidance.
Im filming a project where a model is sliding in magazines and newspapers over a black background. The shot is tight so we only see her hands and the piece of print that she is holding.
Im getting such bad grain on the black that the video is hardly work using.
Any ideas?

Im shooting with a canon 60d.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Black background grain and noise problems
on Jul 27, 2012 at 7:13:23 pm

Two thoughts come to mind...there are "de-noiser" type applications around but I've never used any...might be worth checking out however. The other idea I had is to chromakey out all the black and replace it with...black. Well a third "sort of" idea would be to use a 3 way color correction filter to crush the blacks - in theory I would think that would get rid of noise too.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Black background grain and noise problems
on Jul 28, 2012 at 2:38:35 am

NEAT Video is a pretty good noise reducer, just be prepared for long render times.

If you are strictly in post production and will not be shooting/reshooting anything, as Steve said, try crushing the blacks. Search for a tutorial video if you're not familiar with the technique. If that isn't good enough, try a noise reduction plugin like NEAT and maybe crush the blacks a little AFTER applying the NR. Noise Reduction should be applied first, before otherwise altering the image (you may need to turn off the NR effect while editing to get acceptable RT performance, editing with NEAT applied is slooowww). Only apply the NR to select portions of video that actually need it. If you want to work with the noise reduced video in the timeline, you can "bake in" the effect by exporting just the affected clip and bringing it back in to replace the original on the timeline. If you upload a short clip or even a still frame I'll have a whack at it.

If you are still in production and are just trying to get your camera settings and lighting right before actually shooting, this is a whole other conversation. Unless "turn the lights up and the gain/ISO down" is good enough advice, we will need much more detail about your setup.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]