FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon DSLR T2i or Canon XH-A1 for video commercial

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Cinquina
Canon DSLR T2i or Canon XH-A1 for video commercial
on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:11:46 pm

Hello - I am going to shoot a commercial for a local auto repair shop and was wondering what camera I should use. I own both a Canon T2i DSLR and a Canon XH-A1 video camera. Can someone give a quick list of pros and cons for using both? I do have a wireless mic I can use, so Audio should not be an issue. I will be using Adobe CS 5.5 tools.

Thanks in adavance. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon DSLR T2i or Canon XH-A1 for video commercial
on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:44:32 pm

In terms of audio with the T2i - it's more than having a wireless lav - you also need an external digital recorder to capture the wireless audio signal. The T2i camera body has no headphone jack so you can't monitor the sound and there is also the Automatic Gain Control issue which drives some people nuts - so the T2i is definitely going to great for all your beauty and interview shots in terms of the visuals - sound does really need either the external digital audio recorder or you could also use a BeachTek or JuiceLink pre-amp that had the headphone jack for audio monitoring and which can defeat the AGC problem too. Oh, also you should have a second mic attached to the hot shoe of the T2i and feed that signal into the T2i's mic input jack - this will give you much improved audio recorded with your video clip that you can use to sync to your wirelesses lav audio.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jul 24, 2012 at 9:25:21 am

AFAIK the A1 is a CCD camcorder which means you won't have rolling shutter-issues which can be an advantage, if you're about to use faster pans or if you're shooting fast-moving objects like ... uhm ... cars ;)

I personally find that with "real" camcorders you can work faster than with DSLRs, but that's maybe just me.
Audio - like Steve wrote - will be better than with a DSLR if you plan not to use an external recorder.

Without a tripod (or other stabilizers) you'll get more stable pictures with a bigger camcorder, which can be an advantage if you want to shoot with a moving camera and don't have a dolly, a slider or a steadycam.

If you want that DSLR-Look (DOF etc)... well, forget the HDV camcorder...

We shot a commercial for a car dealer (plus repair-shop) last year and we used a 7D, a T2i, a GoPro and a Sony HDV-cam. Used the Sony for the interviews (audio from a lav-mic directly into the camcorder --> no fussing around with sync in post). For the driving-scenes we used the GoPro, for all other scenes the 7D and T2i.

Especially in the repair-shop (which was dark and narrow) the small size of the DSLRs and the speed of the lenses we had were of big advantage. You can shoot things, that with a bigger camcorder would have not been possible.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Joe Cinquina
on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:46:43 pm

Peter - Thank you! Great information. I do have a Merlin SteadyCam that I bought for my XH-A1, however it has proven to be very unstable. Maybe it would work better with the T2i. I will have to try it. Because of the Audio considerations, I believe I will shoot all voice required shots with the XH-A1 and use the T2i for B-Roll and in shop shots.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

If I only knew what to charge now....

Regards,
Joe

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jul 24, 2012 at 10:02:24 pm

Glad, if I helped!
Good luck with your project!

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:31:48 pm

Hey Peter, care to share a link to that car repair shop spot? Love to see how you made the four cameras work together.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]