FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which lense could go well with the EOS 550D?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steffen Wiegand
Which lense could go well with the EOS 550D?
on Mar 19, 2010 at 7:37:11 pm

Hello,
sorry for this rookie question. I am about to buy the new Canon EOS 550D. I don't know which lense to go for. Apart from shooting decent pics, I would like to give it a go using it for the production of a music video. So, I'd like to have a lense that allows good DoF impressions.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
See you
Steffen

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Brian Pitt
Re: Which lense could go well with the EOS 550D?
on Mar 19, 2010 at 7:44:00 pm

It all depends on your budget. The best all around lens (in my opinion) is the Canon 24-70 2.8mm L series lens. If you are on a tight budget, pick up a couple of EF prime lenses. The 50mm 1.8 is only 100 bucks, but it's incredibly sharp!

Brian

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jonathan Ziegler
on Mar 19, 2010 at 8:36:14 pm

I love this link:

http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/

Click on the "lenses" link on the right when the page loads. There are a slew of great recommendations. Nikon primes are at the top of the list and he has a link to really inexpensive lens adapters for about any lens to camera conversion. If you are shooting video, you want lenses made for video or film (not necessarily photo), but many lenses have been used for years on old Mitchell 35mm film cameras (anyone remember the "Fries" Arriflex/BNCR/Panavision/Nikon conversion?) and have long been noted for their optical quality. One of the great things about these new DSLRs for video is you can draw from over a century of cinematography rather than having to re-invent the wheel.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Steffen Wiegand
on Mar 20, 2010 at 10:58:39 am

Thank you both! Your info gave me a good starting point for further investigation. ;-)

See you
Steffen

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Mar 20, 2010 at 4:49:18 pm

Hi Steffen,

The demands of video and still photography are quite different, for example I shoot all my video fully manual, including focus and exposure and I use a few old Nikkor lens very successfully on my Canon 7D. When it comes to still photography I shy away from the Nikkors, unless it is landscapes or product photography. I shoot a lot of stock photography with Models, in these instances I rely on modern autofocus lenses for speed of use.

I have a 7D and bought the 50mm f1.4 and love this, for still shooting I have a Nikon D300 and use the 70-200 f2.8 a lot.

If you want to shoot wide angle the Tokina 11-16 is a very well regarded lens also for video and stills with Canon 1.6 crop sensors.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]