troubleshooting with footage editing! Weird orange tint to footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drea Davila
troubleshooting with footage editing! Weird orange tint to footage
on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:24:43 pm

Hello,

I have been shooting film on the 550D for a while
now and have not come across this problem before. I filmed some interviews 1920x740 50fps I started to noticed this was happening to the end of the interview but was unsure to change the format to 25 so I left it. Now I am trying to edit it in FCP 5 (yeah I know I should update) and it is very noticeable, I can only describe it as a weir orange "tint line" passing through the footage, notice the man's face changing going from a warm tint to cold! I have no idea what it is or if it can be fixed :( needs to be delivered soon :-[

I have attached a clip, anyone can help please!?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: troubleshooting with footage editing! Weird orange tint to footage
on Jul 14, 2012 at 12:03:29 am

Its very hard to tell what is going on from your description. First of all - regarding the settings do you mean you were filming at:

1920 x 1080 HD
1/50th shutter speed
25 frames per second

A rolling bar like this is most often caused by filming under fluorescent lighting that is flickering. It has to do with the shutter speed of the camera as compared to the cycle rate of the electricity in your country. If you search this forum you will find several discussions concerning this problem and some filters you might try in FCP to make the issue less noticeable. Why this would happen only at the end of your interview I do not know unless the fluorescent lights were starting to fail and thus were flickering even more.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Jul 14, 2012 at 12:40:17 am

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

The setting I was shooting on was 1280 X 720 50fps I do not recall the shutter speed (It was a very intense shooting job, I was doing camera, interview and sound, first time doing it all by myself too!)

The room did have fluorescent lighting so I think you are right! Will look for a solution, thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Jul 14, 2012 at 1:02:28 am

Hey,

I just looked for a tutorial but only found an explanation of why it happened but not how to fix it with post, would you be able to direct me to this answer please? :)

THanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 14, 2012 at 1:39:05 am

Take a look here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/280/7346#7361

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Jul 15, 2012 at 2:30:07 pm

THanks Steve, will check it out now :)

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jul 14, 2012 at 5:08:53 pm

I remember reading somewhere when I was in the process of researching my T2i purchase that people were having problems with color temperature shift as the camera heated up (after about 20 minutes of recording, I think).

I also remember that some of the solutions were to disable the LCD display once focus was achieved, and of course to install Magic Lantern to give you more control of white balance and color temperature.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Jul 15, 2012 at 2:28:26 pm

Thanks for this!

IS there a FCP filter or anything I can do in editing to fix the footage even just a little bit?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:30:46 am

where's the clip? If it's just a color shift and not an actual light intensity pulsing, you can simply key it out and white balance separately. primatte keyer will do this automatically

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]