FORUMS: list search recent posts

d800 external video recorder

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Rusak
d800 external video recorder
on Jul 13, 2012 at 6:11:54 pm

Just got the D800 and find I need an external video recorder to get 'broadcast quality" but the one I'm looking at encodes it to 10-bit, 4:2:2 Apple ProRes.

Would I have any problems editing that on a PC running PPro CS5?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: d800 external video recorder
on Jul 13, 2012 at 11:22:43 pm

There is an open debate around about how much is enough on the BMD forum, my solution is the Hyper Deck 2.

There are other more sophisticated devices, all well above the $1500 US price range however, in bang for buck the Codec in the BMD relies on AVID's DNxHD, which according to a couple of luminaries I discussed it with, will perform better in AE, alongside PP versus Pro Res. I'll take their word for it.

BMD also uses the ProRes codec now and is set to receive with bridging software like MAC Drive Pro.

Drive space is the issue, the read out from CS5.5 for me indicates capture at 10 bit 4.2.2, 29.97fps.

A quick check here will estimate storage as GB's: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/webapps/video_calc.html

My actual goal is to capture/recode into CineForm, but that recorder is $4800 US.

There is a line code from Go Pro/CineForm I'll have to source to make that happen with the HD2 otherwise the DNxHD files open up as is in Premiere. Not sure about ProRes but are they not 32 bit files?

The Ninja has a good support element based on the review with the Nikon, in HD Video Pro, but as I mentioned AVID has been explained to be a more usable choice long term for the Adobe suite.

One interesting note, which does not appear anywhere is that recording SSD from the D800, allows the image to be zoomed real time, which depending on the shooting style, is a very cool feature.

Perhaps endemic to all SSD 4.2.2 devices and cameras, not sure but chill in my view.

The Adobists allude that ProRes opens fine in CS5, but check their forums at Adobe just in case.

HTH's

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]