FORUMS: list search recent posts

Doing something very wrong with Mark II video :(

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Rhee
Doing something very wrong with Mark II video :(
on Jul 8, 2012 at 7:27:16 am

Hello everyone. I am currently playing around with a Mark II and and the 16-35mm lens from Canon. I believe I am doing something very wrong as my video is not very clear at all. Please watch this short video in 1080p:

My in camera settings are set to Philip Bloom's recommended flat settings. I am using Adobe Premiere and added some sharpness back using the unsharp mask. I have the shutter set to 50, aperture in this video was set to F16 (although F8 was not crisp either), and ISO was either 160 or 320. I am currently focusing using the X10 zoom method (X10 zoom, press AF, and shoot). In the video above the focus was set to the middle of the road, between the first car on the right hand side and the car on the opposite side.

How do I achieve that sharp, critical focus?

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Doing something very wrong with Mark II video :(
on Jul 9, 2012 at 5:49:29 pm

What exactly are you trying to achieve? What do you mean by "sharp, critical focus"?

My hunch is that you are trying to achieve the shallow depth of field that so many people want out of DSLRs. Do some research on f-stop and how it relates to depth of field. You are not going to achieve a shallow depth of field with your f-stop at 16 or even f-8.

John

Return to posts index

Peter Rhee
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:05:14 pm

I am not trying to achieve a shallow DOF at all. I am trying to do the opposite actually: get the entire picture in focus (which is why I am using a small aperture with a wide angle lens). I want the picture to be clear and crisp aka achieve critical focus for the entire image. The video, even at 1080p, is muddy/not clear, don't you agree?

Thank you for the response, however, I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:52:01 pm

Yeah I think you were trying to focus on "air" that was too far away....keep the camera in the same spot pick something like the stop sign, focus on that, keep your aperture at F8 or higher and you should get a deep depth of field....you need a physical object to focus on, at least I can't focus "between" things only "on" things :-) Raise your ISO one click too....remember too that the Phiillip Bloom settings have you turn the sharpness all the way down to zero so don't expect huge sharpness, besides sharp video is well....video, not film, a little softness is actually good!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Peter Rhee
on Jul 10, 2012 at 6:07:20 am

Mr. Crow thank you so much for your reply. I will give it a try this weekend after work.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jul 10, 2012 at 1:54:55 pm

Also, you describe your image as "muddy/not clear". Could also be a result of your image having a lot of bright highlights and a lot of dark shadows and not much in between. You could try shooting in more even light and then evaluating your image.

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Jul 10, 2012 at 8:45:38 pm

You could also use a DOF calculator, to set your focus point, agree that f/8 or higher will give the best (better?) results, also contrast in this is dark/light and not much else.

HTH's

Rob

Return to posts index

Lars Martin
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:00:59 pm

Peter, I experience the same thing as you (started my own thread here). I think the picture in the introduction in this article visualize my problem well.
I've tried numerous settings without getting a sharper image (even played around with the bitrate (Magic Lantern) but no luck). The only time I've gotten a better image is when I had massive light to play with and zoomed in a bit while stepping back.
Apparently a faster shutterspeed will give a sharper video but not that I noticed.

Another reason for the blurry image could be the lens. You have an L lens but looking at the MTF score over at Photozone.de it's not very impressive.

This guy gets amazing quality. Look at the pores in the guys face at 01:51. Amazing.
Now, he's using a really good lens and...the GH2.
Check this article that compares quality of the GH2 with a Sony and a Canon.

Finally, if you shot alot of stills then do not expect the same quality. :-)

Return to posts index

Peter Rhee
on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:48:49 am

Thank you all for responding. I will try shooting in better lighting and try out a focus/DOF calculator. I was particularly interested in Lars Martin's comment. I believe the reason for the blurry/softness is due to user error. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to the Mark II and the 16-35L although it would be so much easier for me to cast the blame on the hardware. I am just really waiting for that "AHH" moment when I realize what is causing this hit in image quality. I most definitely think it is something that I am doing wrong. I think the issue is either focus and/or post processing since the in-camera settings are dialed down.

If anyone can help, please do!

Return to posts index

Lars Martin
on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:52:33 am

I soo hope for usererror too. Keeping an eye on this thread. :-)

Return to posts index

Lars Martin
on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:19:21 pm

Peter, I got help solving my issue.
Don't know about Bloom's settings but try upping your sharpness a tad (sharpness set to 3 made a great difference to me).
Have a look at the Cinema Picture Style.

Applying sharpness in camera together with fast shutter speed (=>1/250) and zooming in just a bit while stepping back should do something to your blurness. :-)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:50:49 pm

For best results your shutter speed should be kept at 2x the frame rate so in my case since I always film at 24p I keep my shutter speed at 1/50th and I consider it locked there and never change it. Going to faster shutter speeds will begin to make your video look a little jerky like the old fashioned hand-cranked film cameras from the 1920's. People try higher shutter speeds as a way to cut down light so that their pictures are blown out but a better solution is to use ND filters to cut down the light...I do this all the time in order to get a shallow depth of field look to my video but I know the original poster wanted DEEP depth of field

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 14, 2012 at 11:36:31 pm

I once had a similar issue with a wide shot and was told that very high (small) f stops result in a loss of sharpness due to a mathematical certainty. I'm sorry I have no further memory as to the particulars, but from then on I rarely ever stopped all the way down to within a couple of stops from the extreme, instead using NDs or lower ISO or when appropriate, higher shutter speed.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:17:36 am

1.circle of confusion is f/8 or higher for fuzzyness.
2.try to get hyperfocus distance on near and far objects.
3.ND filter is def better.
4. wide angle lenses shot far away have the same depth of field as telephoto lenses which is also why your stuff could be fuzzy.

you should read about how depth of field works. It's extremely complicated and if you don't know what you're doing, you won't get what you want from your camera.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/hyperfocal-distance.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/wide-angle-lenses.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]