FORUMS: list search recent posts

is it possible DSLR footage achieve something like on Maroon 5 - Payphone?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Firman Prasetia
is it possible DSLR footage achieve something like on Maroon 5 - Payphone?
on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:23:05 am

I saw Maroon 5 - Payphone clip. I love the look. Is anyone having experience to grade DSLR footage, let say Canon 5Dm2 footage, into something like Maroon 5 - Payphone?
Is it possible to do that? or maybe you guys have a tutorial to achieve that..:D
Especially if the shoot location is in Asia that near to equator, which is the sun light is not dimmed.

I surfed in youtube and googling, but find none of tutorial that show how to achieve that...
I try to find a great color grading online learning (with charge fees), but none of that show the sample which could fulfill my desire (something that I ask here)....:D

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: is it possible DSLR footage achieve something like on Maroon 5 - Payphone?
on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:38:01 am

Can you explain exactly what look you are talking about? I watched the entire music video

http://www.directlyrics.com/maroon-5--payphone-music-video-news.html

but didn't notice anything all that unusual....perhaps you can include a screenshot from the music video

OR did you mean this cartoon version a

t http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FlQSQuv_mg????

If so that is an animation that has nothing to do with video grading...they did some nice "fake 3D" effects by putting certain pieces of artwork in the foreground and others further in the background and then doing some simple animations. You could easily make something like that in Apple Motion or Adobe After Effects using a 3D camera technique

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Firman Prasetia
on Jul 5, 2012 at 11:32:09 am

Here's the link of comparison.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81940118@N03/7507195656/in/photostream

mine one (top photo) and the reference (bottom)

2nd link comparison

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81940118@N03/7507199272/in/photostream/

I know, the shot framing of mine is not the same with the reference and the lighting approach also different..:D

I try to color grade mine, adjust the shadows and midtones up, and bring the highlight down, to lower the contrast, then adjust saturation make it desaturated, adjust the color on 3 color wheel tool. but still my footage still look video-ish, compare to my reference. Then I try to see closely both (mine and the reference), it's like something missing on mine that need to adjust..:D

Even none of music video in my country, that achieve the "film-look" (since I don't know how to explain it verbally) of something like Maroon 5 - Payphone.

How to get rid of video-ish look? :D
Thanks a lot Steve...

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 7, 2012 at 2:53:22 am

video looks like video because of the edge sharpening.

the comparison examples tweak the gamma and brightness and contrast. There's basically no white-whites. You can do that in curves or levels.

you could try the find edges filter in ae, then fast/smart blur from the alpha matte. further tweaking with levels on the alpha matte.

I actually made an old AE project that has sliders. It was originally made to reduce the look of DV film but should do the same trick.

ae cs3
http://www.mediafire.com/?79mnjvs99pp61si

Return to posts index

Firman Prasetia
on Jul 7, 2012 at 8:45:21 am

Could you explain it in detail? :D

I use find edges, but how to make it as alpha matte? Should I put 2 identical footage into sequence?

Thx u

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 7, 2012 at 9:05:32 am

an interactive after effect file is worth a thousand words. it's linked in my previous post.

the order in my comps is
find edges
shift channels alpha from luminance
fast blur the matte
all above alpha inverted footage with smart blur

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:13:57 pm

[Firman Prasetia] "How to get rid of video-ish look?"

Don't forget the lighting. If you light your video like film, it will look more like film...
Most of the time, a video-ish look is because people tend to treat video like... video and spend very few (if at all) time for lighting properly.

Grading is only one single part of the so-called film-look. Lighting (or diffusing light, blocking light...) IMHO is a more than equal important aspect.

If you work under harsh light conditions, you'll get very high-contrast pictures. So try to block or diffuse the light. Use bouncers, butterflies etc. to get rid of the harsh and contrasty shadows.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:46:00 pm

i humbly disagree with sticking to one specific lighting technique, although your thoughts do protect the user against the limited dynamic range video has to film. don't forget polarized lenses, you'll get a few extra stops.

You can still contrast the heck out of images. example: cowboys vs aliens. It's not the contrast that gets you. It's dv's encoding that enhances edges with dark black lines. although you're right to some extent, if the video has a sharp cutoff to white, it's going to scream video. you can steal some of the curve with a gradual decay to white.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:23:54 pm

[Chris Wright] "i humbly disagree with sticking to one specific lighting technique"

Chris, maybe you got me wrong. I didn't want to say that lightig alone will give you "this or that specific look".

What I meant is, that in my experience lighting is often forgotten as a valuable technique to get more "film-like" pictures like in the example. Lighting (or in this case diffusing harsh sunlight, blocking it, bouncing it etc.) is *one* method to get closer to the desired look.
And if I look at the provided comparisons, what I see (especially in the second example) is that you can get closer to the "original", if you'd use a soft fill light. The Maroon 5 pictures are much more evenly and a bit softer lit.

I totally agree with you, that a lot can be done in post (and has to be done in post) to achieve exactly what the TO wants.

Sorry, if I made myself unclear!

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Firman Prasetia
on Jul 8, 2012 at 5:01:44 pm

hohoho.... thanks for all comment..:D

"don't forget polarized lenses, you'll get a few extra stops."

what do you mean by polarized lenses? is it some kind of special lenses?

and,

"You can still contrast the heck out of images. example: cowboys vs aliens. It's not the contrast that gets you. It's dv's encoding that enhances edges with dark black lines. although you're right to some extent, if the video has a sharp cutoff to white, it's going to scream video. you can steal some of the curve with a gradual decay to white."

how to do that? :D

and, how bout the contrast ratio on location is more than the camera dynamic range could handle?
Let say (exterior scene) the sun light that fall off to the building far behind the actor is too strong, then we don't have enough light to lit the actor? becoz if sometimes I underexposed the shot, while in post, i dial back the black up, I need to struggle with noise or artifact that come up. something like blocky things, which some people say becoz of DSLR chroma sub sampling is 4:2:0 not 4:2:2. Yeah here in my country the sun light is really hard, not like in europe, dimmed. :D

oh yeah, by the way,
Do you guys got any samples that shoot on DSLR that color grade become something like maroon 5 vidclip? :D

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 9, 2012 at 3:29:43 am

polarized lenses will reduce glare(ie. white light bouncing off objects) by only accepting direct light. It will reduce the required dynamic range of
cameras and make skies a little bluer and not as washed out. Sometimes you don't want this, ie. you want special reflections off objects. It's a double edged sword.

And also there's a difference between local contrast and global contrast. Local will increase the difference of mid-tones without changing the max,min white or black values.
Global contrast, changes the floor and ceiling values, ie, increasing,decreasing the dynamic range. You should always try to light soft enough that you don't lose your global values then add local contrast in post. Never blow out your highlights or shadows because you'll never get them back. Post grading is always smart. Like they always say, "get it in camera first."

You can use curves to drag the shoulder down so it looks s-shaped. It will make the remaining pixels burn gradually to white. It's a taste preference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]