FORUMS: list search recent posts

EOS plugin for Final Cut is out!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Paul
EOS plugin for Final Cut is out!
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:23:35 pm

The EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro is out. It allows using the Final Cut log and transfer window to directly import Canon H264 video from CF cards via conversion to ProRes. Here is the link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=Downlo...

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
Re: EOS plugin for Final Cut is out!
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:36:40 pm

Wow, taht's great news! Thank's for the heads up Chris!

Göran

Return to posts index

Chris Paul
on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:07:43 pm

If you are like me and have not used the Log & Transfer window much, be sure to set the import preferences to the format you really want. On first use it defaults to 444.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:56:14 pm

So this won't work for the T2i?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Mar 19, 2010 at 6:42:15 pm

Sure will thank's!

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:10:43 pm

I have installed the plugin but can't get it to work

I just get

"103EOS7D" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

Yet this has all the 7D movs in ?

Any ideas what I am doing wrong ?

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
FCS3 / After Effects CS4 / Combustion / Canon 7D / Canon XL2

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
Re: EOS plugin for Final Cut is out
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:39:14 pm

Ok found out what was wrong.

1. You must have the .THM files to go with the video, otherwise the plugin won't recognise the clip.
2. You can't trick it by just creating a .THM from a text editor, this will cause FCP to crash
3. If you have lost the .THM files (like I have) you can just copy a working one to the same name as the movie file, but with a .THM extension. The picture and exif info will be wrong but if will show up in the log and transfer window.

Anyone know how to recreate the .THM files properly ?

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 20, 2010 at 12:09:59 am

Sweetness- trying now.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Mar 20, 2010 at 9:10:02 pm

Is this any faster or better quality than converting to ProRess with MPEGstreamclip?

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Mar 20, 2010 at 9:33:24 pm

I don't think it us any faster it better quality than mpeg streamclip, but once integrated into the log and transfer window, you can now link your media clips to the source material in fcp.

I have put together a short workflow tutorial that may be of interest. I dud this as I wanted a similar workflow to tape and be able to backup and catalog my sd captured clips.

http://bit.ly/9JC7GA

hope this is of some use.

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 20, 2010 at 9:41:56 pm

I find it a heck of a lot faster than before. Now, it's just launch log and transfer and pop in your CF card. The card files show up in the FCP log and transfer window and allow you to select the clips you do or don't want to transcode. Mark the files and the batch starts. The new clips show up transcoded right in your designated FCP logging bin.

This has improved my workflow a LOT.

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Mar 20, 2010 at 10:19:56 pm

I totally agree with you. I should have qualified what I said; I was referring to the transcoding speed. I don't see any particular speed difference between mpeg streamclip and canon plugin, but from an end to end workflow, definetly faster, better and easier, in my opinion. I like the fact that the transcoded clips are linked to the source material in fcp.

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 23, 2010 at 5:02:52 pm

Figures this comes out AFTER we have transcoded over 2500 clips and renamed them via slate. This will be a great tool to have on set for asst editor - like it a lot.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Lucian Perkins
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:08:36 pm

I get the same message "contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure...." as well when I try to direct the new files to a new folder as well, but I'm not sure about your reference to ".THM" files. I did not delete any files from my card and it seems that the problem it is referring to is with the invalid directory of the new folder I created on my hard drive for the files. Anyway, I'm lost with this. Any help?

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:22:37 pm

Things to try:

1. Make sure your directory structure is like this

/DCIM/100EOS7D

where is some top level folder. The plugin seems to be a bit particular about the directory layout.

2. Make sure that you don't have any other files in other formats, in the directory. Only have files that came from the camera.

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

Lucian Perkins
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:57:26 pm

Geez. Thanks. I tried that without success. So I'm Log and Transferring directly from the card in case that makes a difference. And created a file directly on my media drive: DCIM/100EOSD which is what is on my card and tried adding custom path to that and at various other folder levels in the off chance that might work without success. Any other thoughts? Thanks again

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:00:42 pm

The .THM files contain the meta data and thumbnail JPEG for each of the MOV files created. You must have both of these in place for Log & Transfer to correctly identify the directory as being one containing canon media. You get the same error message for either incorrect directory structure or missing media / THM files.

The only other thing I would do, is try copying over say just one MOV and THM file into the correct directory structure and seeing if will recognise that. Also, confirm that the plugin installed correctly by seeing if it come up in the preferences pane of the LOg & Transfer window.

Below is a screen grab of the kind of structure I meant and the THM / MOV files.

Apart from that, I can't replicate the problem. My problem was first not having the THM files, and secondly not having the expected directory structure.

***** ALSO Make sure that the directory you select when adding from the Log & Transfer window is not lower down than DCIM or more than one dir up from DCIM ****

i.e. Given My Directory structure is this:

PROJECTS -> Slimbridge -> DCIM -> 100EOS7D

Then when clicking Add Volume from the log and Transfer window:

Selecting PROJECTS will fail
Selecting Slimbridge will work
Selecting DCIM will work
Selecting 100EOS7D will fail

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Mar 28, 2010 at 2:14:44 pm

Declan, do you know if Premiere Pro needs a similar plug in or anything extra for that matter in order to support 7D files?

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Mar 28, 2010 at 7:44:20 pm

Hi David
I have not used premiere pro and therefore can't really comment on the premiere pro workflow. However, any editing system is going to struggle with h.264 files as they are in a delivery format not an editing format.

So my advice would be to convert them into an appropriate editing format that suits your workflow. In addition, I would adopt a strategy to back up your source material. This, apart from giving you piece of mind in the event of a data loss, gives you options later to transcode to a different codec if needed.

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

James Marshall
on Apr 1, 2010 at 10:56:46 pm

Hi
I have been following the threads giving details on how to get footage from the 550D into the log and transfer window, but on my system: Macbook pro, os 10.6.3 Fcp 6.0.2 it does not want to play ball. I have tried editing the plist I even tried using a downloaded plist,
I have tried changing the directory structure but always get this warning:
"DCIM" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.
if anyone out there has any ideas they will be gratefully recieved.

James :)

Return to posts index

Jennifer Jones
on Apr 10, 2010 at 2:15:43 pm

We're having the same problem / error - Anyone else find a different workaround?

Return to posts index

James Marshall
on Apr 11, 2010 at 10:22:29 am

So I uninstalled the plugin, reinstalled it. edited the cameras plist, and restarted the computer. Oddly this worked and now I can use log and transfer, and benefit from timecode and roll numbers. Happy days...

Return to posts index

Jennifer Jones
on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:39:46 pm

Hi James - Did you use a utility to uninstall the plugin? Or, did you just drag it to the trash and re-download / re-install it? (and, if so, what is the name of the file, and where is it found? We just looked in the FCP User Data -> Plugins folder, and it's not in there(?)

Thanks for any insight
- Jennifer

Return to posts index

James Marshall
on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:08:56 pm

hi jennifer
go to Library/Application Support/ProApps/MIO/RAD/Plugins and put the CanonE1.RADPlug into the trash.

it is a plugin for log and transfer so i guess it lives in a different place.
james

Return to posts index

Jennifer Jones
on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:32:30 pm

Thank you James - We found it! However, it didn't solve the problem, lol.

We trashed the plugin, trashed all our FCP preferences, re-installed the plugin, re-started, re-launched FCP, still no luck.

Maybe it's a Snow Leopard thing - We're running 10.6.3 and FCP 6.0.5... hmmm. Thanks anyhow for the response, though!

- Jennifer

Return to posts index

Andy Rydzewski
on Jun 13, 2010 at 8:26:12 pm

I am having the same trouble as some of these folks. I have installed the plug in, but FCP doesn't seem to read it. When I open 'Log and Transfer' and go to preferences, there is no option for a Canon DSLR.

I've got to get this solved by Monday night, so if anyone has any advice at all, please let me know! Thanks very much...

Oh, and when I follow the described path, the plug in was not there. Thoughts? I've tried re-installing it to no avail.

-Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Rydzewski
on Jun 13, 2010 at 9:56:40 pm

I'm realizing that I'm running Mac OS 10.4.11 and think I might need to be running 10.6.2 or later. I'm going to buy Snow Leopard in the morning and see if that solves the problem. Good luck to me!

-andy

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 14, 2010 at 2:35:58 pm

Andy,
What camera do you have?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Andy Rydzewski
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:52:40 pm

I have a Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Andy Rydzewski
on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:10:42 pm

Alright, just to update anyone who might care- I have upgraded to a newer OS (Snow Leopard) and re-installed the plug in. It now seems to be working without issue. Hooray!

-Andy

Return to posts index

Samir Mahadin
on Mar 31, 2011 at 6:17:18 pm

How do I ensure that the .THM files are in the folder with the actual .MOV files when I transfer the files from my camera. (Canon 60d)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 31, 2011 at 6:26:46 pm

Grab the DCIM folder and drag it over to your hard drive, every thing you need is in that folder.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Samir Mahadin
on Apr 4, 2011 at 2:13:42 pm

Hey Thanks for the reply. How do I access the DCIM folder?

Return to posts index

Chris McCorkel
on May 20, 2013 at 2:22:33 am

Wow, this thread is still alive... :)

Until I found this thread, I was having to transcode all files from my CF card!

What Declan Smith wrote was what worked for me (thanks Declan by the way!!!). I'm working of an iMac thats around 6 years old. Its factory OS was Leopard (10.5) but I upgraded my OS system up to Snow Leopard (10.6) several years back. I'm running an academic version of FCP 6.0.6 and I recently downloaded the plugin for the 5D Mark II and had troubles at first because I was choosing the wrong "DIRECTORY STRUCTURE". I clicked folders at random and was finally able to get FCP to read the card, not the files stored on my CPU's HD; the file structure was: My card name - DCIM - 100EOS5D

Now, I can store the files on my CPU's HD and transcode perfectly :). So if you are getting the message:

"contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

then you might be, as Andy Rydzewski experimented for us, running on an old OS system or for my case choosing the wrong "path" for FCP to search for. So, if the problem is the same as mine, refer to Declan's post that has the picture showing the folder hierarchy. The reason I couldn't get the log and transfer to work off my CPU's HD was because I had the folder hierarchy backwards which WAS:
DCIM - 100EOS5D - Folder containing files. NOW the file structure is: Folder containing files - DCIM - 100EOS5D.

Anyway, I hope this helps if anyone is still having issues.

Chris

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:23:32 pm

Hi Declan (and other potential helpers!)

I have just been sent a drive with D5 media and also got the error:

"100EOS5D" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

I noticed that someone has renamed the .MOV files inside the 100EOS5D folders (trying to be helpful with scene & take numbers i think: eg. scene3slate28take2.MOV) but left the .THM files as they are - eg. MVI_2967.THM

Could anyone suggest an efficient way of getting back to square one, so i can still use log and transfer and keep timecode information?
My current thought is to sort by 'date created' in the finder so that i can see which .MOV file corresponds to which .THM file and rename the .THM files to match.

Any thoughts? Am i missing something obvious?
I know i could just bung the mov files through mpeg streamclip or compressor but would like to use the log and transfer process to add more metadata

All the best,

Matthew

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:03:27 pm

Ah - Steve Eisen gave the answer in another post here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1095540#1095595

just took a bit longer searching.....

(it seems you can rename the .THM files to match the movs)

thanks all

Return to posts index

Paul toft
on Sep 3, 2010 at 1:51:58 am

I THINK I MIGHT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.... I had that whole directory path issue myself & was really frustrated, but then I came across this video & realized that there are 2 downloads. A Hardware download AND a Software download from Canon's Website. I only did the Hardware download. So once I seen this Video I went & downloaded & installed the Software, the Log & Transfer immediately worked!!! Let me know if this helped. Paul

Return to posts index

Marcial Reiley
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:20:25 pm

I'm having issues even after reading through this entire string. I've installed EOS Movie plugin E-1 V 1.2, but when I open FCP/Log and Transfer, then select the DCIM folder from the EOS Digital on my desktop (the original CF card from the camera, in a card reader) I get the "Invalid directory" warning. I've also tried just selecting the dmg of the EOS_Digital on the desktop, but still no thumbnails are showing up. And EOS does not appear in the Import Preferences.

I'm trying to load files from a T2i, and have followed the procedures I've found on line for modifying the camera.plist with Textwrangler to add the T2i. Seeing as how EOS does not show up at all in the Import Preferences it makes me think that even though I can find the plugin installed in library/application support/ProAps.... FCP does not see it.

I've installed this on my home system and it works fine (OS 10.5.6 FCP 6)

Can someone point me towards a solution?

OX 10.6.8 FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Chris Paul
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:33:21 pm

I see in your post both FCP6 and FCP7. Which are you using? It may be that the plugin does not work in 6.

BTW, I have playing with DSLR video in FCPX. As controversial as that program may be, the way it handles DSLR footage is amazing.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

Marcial Reiley
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:44:34 pm

I'm using FCP 7 in this case. Thanks for the heads up on FCPX, but I'm guessing it will be a while before we'd upgrade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]