FORUMS: list search recent posts

Max Zooming into DSLR footage in FCP

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parisa Rezvani
Max Zooming into DSLR footage in FCP
on Jun 23, 2012 at 1:09:43 am

Hi all,

This is my first post to Creative Cow. This is exciting. Ok, here's the question: I was wondering if anyone knows if there is image quality loss when you zoom into 5D footage after capturing it at 422 in FCP? I know in Avid, the general rule is 80% max before starting to lose substantial image quality. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading my post!

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Max Zooming into DSLR footage in FCP
on Jun 23, 2012 at 4:13:37 pm

I don't quite understand, what you mean by
[Parisa Rezvani] "(...) in Avid, the general rule is 80% max before starting to lose substantial image quality" What confuses me is the "80%"... What do you mean by that?

Zooming into footage always leads to a loss of quality. In my time of Avid training, I learned, that resizing to 112% to max. 115% is something you can get away with when adding a bit of sharpness afterwards and I most of the time stick to that "rule"... I don't think there's much difference between various NLEs.

There are some Plugins that do a much better job than a simple resize, like "Instant HD" or "Resizer" from Magic Bullet. With those you might be able to zoom in further for they use advanced algorithms.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]