FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on creating Blu-ray from Canon 60D footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Petersen
Need advice on creating Blu-ray from Canon 60D footage
on Jun 11, 2012 at 4:47:02 pm

I'm trying to create a Blu-ray disc of all my personal videos shot with the Canon 60D from the past year. I have all the tools to do it...a Blu-ray burner, Final Cut Studio 2, Roxio Toast 10, MPEG Streamclip, and the latest Adobe Premiere Suite (with Encore & Adobe Media Encoder).

I have made Blu-ray discs in the past for things I have edited, but I'm looking for advice on how to handle this project. There are several hundred clips that total up to nearly 4 hours of footage. I am looking for the quickest/easiest way to do this...nothing fancy, no menus, just 4 hours of footage with chapter points every five minutes.

I tried putting them all on a Final Cut timeline (preserve clip settings), and did a Send to Compressor. I tried it a couple times, but it would crash after about an hour of encoding time. I haven't used Premiere or Encore very much, I've only had them a couple months.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Need advice on creating Blu-ray from Canon 60D footage
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:20:10 pm

For the starters, If you intend on using FCP you need beforehand transcode all media from your camera. You can do it either with 5DtoRGB, or Canon plugin, or Compressor, or MPEGStream Clip. Your choice. In either case choose ProRes HQ as your output. Afterwards you'd want to use one of Compressor presets for BR.
On the other hand, you may wish to import your media without transcoding directly onto Premiere timeline and then export it with Encoder. Take a look at presets available in Encoder.

Production and Postproduction in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:26:34 pm

Thanks!

I was actually hoping to avoid transcoding all the footage first to avoid an extra step, as well as several more hours to the process...I don't know if that is something that is avoidable.

It is all my "home video" footage, so having perfect quality is not as important. I am keeping all the master files, and I just want something I can play in my Blu-ray player...with minimal amount of hassle involved. I suppose the same process would be necessary in going to DVD. If there weren't hundreds and thousands of little 5 second clips, this would probably be easier.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:42:50 am

You can use Premiere for this. No need for transcoding!

Just put all the clips on a premiere timeline. Export H.264 for blu-ray.

And then you can burn the blu-ray disk in encore.

Sohrab

FCS 3 & Adobe PPro
AJA Kona Lhi, Mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Ghz Quad Core
Flanders Scientific LM-1760W

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]