FORUMS: list search recent posts

NEED OPINIONS - What should I do for a film/photography setup?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Lester
NEED OPINIONS - What should I do for a film/photography setup?
on Jun 10, 2012 at 2:50:02 am

Okay, so, here's the breakdown.

I love film, and I have just about a perfect setup for it at the moment. However, I also really enjoy photography, but have a horrible setup for it at the moment. I would buy a separate camera, lenses, etc. for a custom photography setup, but unfortunately I absolutely cannot financially afford to do this. I can only have one setup that is either great for fil;m, great for photography, or so-so for both.

One other option would be for me to buy a mediocre photography setup, but I really do not want to do this.

Here's what I have now: A Panasonic GH2 w/ a bunch of old Canon FD lenses and some other accessories. I love this setup for video as it was affordable, yet one of my best options for a DSLR video setup. If I sold all of this gear I could get about $2,000. I can also spend about $1,000, so that puts me at roughly $3,000 for a setup that is both good at photos and video.

I was thinking that for the intermediate setup, I would get a 5D MK II, a canon 24-70mm f/2.88 L, a battery grip, a 64GB CF card, a B+W lens filter, and this hiking photography gear backpack I found on BH. This would probably give me enough versatility for video, especially since the lens covers so many focal lengths. What are your thoughts? The GH2 is great for video, but is one of the worst DSLRs for photography, while the 5D II is much more expensive, it is an excellent still camera and still and excellent video camera (though the video does not retain as much detail as the GH2's.)

WHAT SHOULD I DO??????

Thanks for the help, I really, really appreciate it.

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: NEED OPINIONS - What should I do for a film/photography setup?
on Jun 10, 2012 at 5:16:57 pm

"The GH2 is great for video, but is one of the worst DSLRs for photography..."

Jeff - I have not found this to be true with my GH2. Here are some of my GH2 stills - and they're not the best I have taken:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eHH87IG1NSE/ThmzyFdd8bI/AAAAAAAAEHo/h60G...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jVx_tc-zq1M/T7hf3BD8wBI/AAAAAAAAFlE/ERAA...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cfpy6Yo9VuA/T7hg1JvGjqI/AAAAAAAAFlU/NMxC...

Can you post some of your stills? Is your challenge with focusing on quick action? Exposure control? My guess is that trying to shoot stills with manual Canon FD lenses may be part of the problem with your GH2 photographic experience.

My other guess is that after shooting with the GH2, you won't like the video challenges that come with the 5DMkII (e.g., moire, no autofocus in video mode, no viewfinder in video mode, 12 minute video clip limit, fixed LCD).

Unless you really really need the 5DMkII's full frame aesthetic, I recommend you spend your $1000 on some decent Panasonic/Olympus glass instead of changing systems. I recommend couple of high quality system lenses like the $999 Olympus 12-60 f2.8-3.5 for 4/3, or $799 Olympus 11-22 f2.8-3.5 for 4/3 along with a Panasonic MA-1 adapter (I have the Oly 11-22, it is fabulous).

Or you can wait a few weeks for the $1300 Panasonic 12-35mm constant f2.8 - expensive, but costs less than the Canon 24-70.

With high quality autofocusing glass and automatic exposure control, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well your stills will turn out.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]