FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Camera Woke Up Bricked

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
My Camera Woke Up Bricked
on May 28, 2012 at 9:56:16 pm

( Already posted this in a 4/3 user forum, looking also for any similar experiences here... )

As of a few days ago my Lumix GH2 would not power on. The batteries were all Panasonic brand, fully charged. The camera is not hacked. It is 7 months since purchase. No rough handling or wetness or leaving it in the sun.

The only recommendations have been to let the body sit for 24 hours without battery or lens or card, which I did and had no results.

I will be shipping to Panasonic or the retailer for repair, but in the long meanwhile I would love to know what it's all about... if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: My Camera Woke Up Bricked
on May 29, 2012 at 12:03:33 am

Is there a wall outlet power cord that came with the camera? If you plug it in, does it work?

I've had this happen but each time it was because I was using AA batteries for power and one or more were turned the wrong way - but this sounds like it may be a different problem. Still, the test above will tell us if its the battery or the camera that is failing.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

William Carr
on May 29, 2012 at 1:20:41 am

Yes, I did think maybe the battery terminal-power transfer inside the camera was bad, but if the kit had come with an AC adapter-- which it does not-- it would have made no difference. That's because the optional AC adapter utilizes a battery-shaped connector which uses the very same terminals in the camera battery slot.

I wish there was something I could activate, some button combo to reboot the thing, but I can't find anything on the web.

The odds are something inside is fried, but the mystery of how / why it got that way is gnawing at me. If it was sunspots or a coronal mass ejection, why was similar equipment in the same bag not also fried?

Anyway, thanks Steve for the thought.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 10, 2012 at 8:00:52 pm

As I just posted also in the fourthirds-user site where I had started a similar thread on this experience:

FOLLOWUP RESULTS:

The camera was turned around pleasingly fast by Panasonic's McCallen Service Center, with good customer updates. This is the opposite of my experience last year with the broadcast service center in New Jersey and an HVX-200.

The Invoice (no charge, under 1-year warranty) stated--

Service performed: PART REPLD ELECTRICL,ELECT.ADJ,INSTALL FIRMWARE

Technician's Comments: REPLACED MAIN PCB.,UP[DATED FIRMWARE.,PERFORMED ELECTRICAL ADJUSTMENTS

There is a single part number listed, for a "MAIN PCB".

The camera works fine after an abbreviated test. Although it looks like the firmware brings it up to a level ahead of the new GH2 body I just bought a month ago. I'll have to take a focused moment to figure that out and get them both on the same page.

So FYI, a bricked GH2 seemed to be fixed by a new MAIN PCB, whatever that
is.

I'd like to have understood what caused the issue so I can be specifically careful in some way in the future with my two GH2s out in the field.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]