FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Mark II footage in FCP - I'm lost. Simple Question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad DeCecco
5D Mark II footage in FCP - I'm lost. Simple Question
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:37:06 pm

I followed the philip bloom method of converting the 5D Mark II footage to apple pro res in compressor. I brought it into FCP 7, edited it and everything's cool. I spit out a QT and I notice it's all jittery. Upon checking my settings - the clips in the browser are all 30 fps, but the sequence settings are at:
frame size: HD 960x720
timebase: 23.98
QT Video Settings > Compressor: DVC PRO HD 720p60

Usually when a clips frame rate is different from the sequence, it will tell me and ask if i want to change but this never happened and now I can't change the timebase setting, it doesn't allow me. did i do something wrong? Any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: 5D Mark II footage in FCP - I'm lost. Simple Question
on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:26:32 pm

It looks like you put 30fps footage into a 24p timeline and then compressed to 30p - that's why. Delete the timelines in your project and create new based on the footage.
What is your end target? DVD? Web? Tape?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:35:27 pm

end output is a quicktime file that will be burned on a dvd (just as a qt file) to be screened from a computer over a dlp. when i exported it at 'current settings' everything looks good (Except the framerate issue) and it's 2 mins at about 750 mb. so I just need to cut and paste the sequence into a timeline with different settings? do you know what those settings are since i converted it to apple pro res in compressor? considering what we pay for this software and gear, it astonishes me that this is so complicated... Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:39:21 pm

If you still have the card with the original footage, there's a new update to the Canon firmware that does the ProRes 422 encode faster and simpler.

You should check that out. It avoides some of the problems associated with multi-step transcoding.

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:49:35 pm

i can just put the footage into the camera on the card and it will convert it? thought it encodes it upon capture?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Mar 18, 2010 at 12:26:26 pm

So you're making a data disc then? Putting the .mov file on there to transport somewhere else.
NOT a DVD disc that plays in a DVD player?

Your clips in the browser are @ 30fps.

Create a new sequence and go into the settings (CMD 0) and make sure your sequence matches your clips b/4 putting them into the sequence.

You can copy your edited version from the 23.98 timeline and paste them into the new 30p sequence.

Output a movie -current settings - self contained and you're good to go.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:43:21 pm

awesome, thanks! what is "CMD 0"? And do you know what it should be set to for the sequence? 1080 30p or pro res or..?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Mar 19, 2010 at 1:22:10 pm

"CMD 0" is the keyboard shortcut for sequence settings. Zero not the letter ohh...

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]