FORUMS: list search recent posts

Large Sensor Camera Test 2012

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Espen Fyksen
Large Sensor Camera Test 2012
on May 22, 2012 at 4:16:30 pm

We are a group of people in Norway who have tested Canon C300 and 5D Mark III, Nikon D4 and D800, Sony F3 and FS 100. If you are interested to read about the results, please visit

http://largesensor.com/

Return to posts index

Michael De Lazzer
Re: Large Sensor Camera Test 2012
on May 23, 2012 at 6:23:36 am

It's getting more difficult to assess these shootouts with the number of variables that can drastically affect the performance of these cameras. Lenses, lighting, and record format all change the nature of these cameras for better or worse.

Higher end lenses make a world of difference on the 5D, and put it in low light and the camera distances itself from the other cameras in a hurry.

The D800 recorded to the internal card is abysmal. But stream it to an external box and you've got one hell of a camera on your hands, it's a totally different animal when not recording to a card.

The C300 is probably the camera which most interests me in this list-- but I honestly believe the camera is priced four times higher than it should be for a 4:2:2 unit recording at 50 Mb/s.

Interesting to see how the BlackMagic camera changes the balance of things when it arrives.

Return to posts index

Espen Fyksen
on May 23, 2012 at 7:31:54 am

Thanks for your response. I totally agree with you, the options are endless. We used two Zeiss Planar 50mm f2.0 lenses, one with F-mount and one with EF for all the tests, except for the F3, where we used the 50 mm Sony lens that comes in the kit. We used neutral/off for picture profile on all the cameras.

I see that people are claiming that recording to external recorder is making a world of difference. I have done some testing recording both to ProRes and uncompressed with the D800, and so far I can not see that this makes that much difference under normal shooting conditions, but I obviously have to dig deeper in to this.

Return to posts index

Michael De Lazzer
on May 23, 2012 at 8:31:49 am

According to Nikon (yes, my D800 is still on backorder) recording to the card compresses the data rate to 25 Mb/s. Recording to an external deck through the HDMI port like the Pix 240 ups the data rate to 190 Mb/s. I can't image this not making an enormous difference in video quality. Plus you're encoding to ProRes or DNxHD, two extremely clean codecs. I am itching to try all of this for myself...

Return to posts index

Espen Fyksen
on May 23, 2012 at 8:53:21 am

I will make some footage I have shot both compressed and uncompressed available for download later today or tomorrow, I will let you know when it is out there. The difference in data rate is enormous, but the difference in visual quality is not that enormous. I was very surprised myself when I first tested this.

The h.264 encoding is very advanced, and for a guy like me who has been around since we did everything uncompressed because the compression technology was that lousy, it's amazing to see how much data you can get rid of these days without compromising the quality severely.

I would like to do some tests where I am stressing the h.264 codec a little bit more than I've done so far, but I still think the benefit of recording the HDMI signal will mainly be for green screen and other extreme conditions.

Return to posts index

Espen Fyksen
on May 23, 2012 at 2:11:40 pm

Follow the link to download a ProRes HQ file for comparing D800 internal/external recording

http://largesensor.com/downloads/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]