FORUMS: list search recent posts

dslr hd RAW

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adi Oberoi
dslr hd RAW
on May 21, 2012 at 11:06:22 pm

Hello, I was wondering if there is any DSLR that films 1080 RAW.....?

I know there was talk that the new ikon would but all dslr cams have very limited info on their HD features.... Yes they all say Cam Raw but that reverse to the photos....

Hope some one knows about this.

Adi Oberoi

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: dslr hd RAW
on May 21, 2012 at 11:09:33 pm

Unless you consider a Scarlet a DSLR.. NO

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Michael De Lazzer
on May 21, 2012 at 11:37:30 pm

The new Nikon D800 will output a 190 MB/s stream out of its HDMI port, which is very good-- but it is not RAW.

Even them you need an outboard box to capture the feed. Internally the camera card will only record at 25 MB/s.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 22, 2012 at 12:09:52 am

The upcoming Black Magic CinemaCam has advertised it will shoot in RAW video mode when the product is released, not a HD DSLR either

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael De Lazzer
on May 22, 2012 at 1:50:19 am

All of this has me thinking- I've ordered the D800E (which may cause some trouble when video shooting with aliasing and moire) does it make sense to spend $3000 on a recorder for it or $3000 on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera which will do it all?

These are interesting times in which we are living.

Return to posts index

Adi Oberoi
on May 22, 2012 at 1:59:17 pm

The Nikon I believe is still a great cam, especially for photos.

Problem with the codec is that you can not do much in post such as, color correction, grading etc etc. You really have to film with the look in mind, but of course you know this otherwise you would not be looking into spending another 3000,- for an external device.

Personally I believe its a whole lot of money. If you do not need to use the Nikon much for photos, then I would not invest in the external device. But if you use it for both photos and filming it may be a good investment.

Just saw a review of the Black magic and I was Super Surprised, its 2.5 K (not 1080). Whow, thats really good for that price.

the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. It captures 2.5K (2432 x 1366) 12bit RAW footage with a claimed 13 stops of dynamic range on a sensor that is, at 16.64 x 14.04mm, slightly smaller than the Four Thirds standard. It features a Canon EF mount and the compact body includes a capacitive touchscreen and a Thunderbolt connection.

My first impression is, this is fantastic, still need to look into the specs though, such as the lens etc. but for that price 2.5 K........whow.

Regards,

Adi Oberoi

Return to posts index

Michael De Lazzer
on May 22, 2012 at 3:20:30 pm

I would be recording in DNxHD and editing on Avid Symphony, which has a decent color corrector (though admittedly not nearly as powerful as the BlackMagic Cinema/DaVinci workflow).

Recording to the internal card on the Nikon is discarding the camera's potential as a video camera. I'm going to try the cheaper BlackMagic Hyperdeck approach first-- and see how that does. I liked the Pix 240 for the audio interface and time code features, but at $3000, it's not cost effective for what I'm doing.

$3000 would better be spent on the BlackMagic Cinema camera. It records DNxHD native. There are some videos from the camera floating around-- they look promising.

I have a D700 which doesn't shoot video. I want the D800E for studio photo/portrait work. It's one heck of a studio camera for photography. The $500 Hyperdeck is at least a starting point for video, but I'm very concerned about aliasing and moire on the 800E, which removes the aliasing filter from the camera. Great for stills, not good for video.

Return to posts index

Adi Oberoi
on May 22, 2012 at 1:49:12 pm

That will be the best deal around for filming HD raw yet.

The scarlet of course is great but to get a nice package it will cot close to 25.000 $.

Sony has a great cam too Sony NEX-FS100U Super 35mm Sensor Camcorderfor around 6000 $

So the stories about the new Nikon D4 be able to film HD RAW are not true then,.... I even saw youtube vids claiming it does.

Too bad, I am just waiting for that day when dslr will go raw.

Adi Oberoi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]