FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to sync & organize separate Audio/Video clips in FCP 7

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Herz
Best way to sync & organize separate Audio/Video clips in FCP 7
on May 21, 2012 at 9:27:20 pm

I have recently completed shooting on a project shot with Canon 5d and 7d cameras. It is an interview heavy project. We shot interviews with 2 cameras and recorded audio separately on a digital recorder. Video and audio look and sound great.
We started all interviews with a clap in front of the face on interview subject in order to sync audio/video...no problems syncing when I place all clips on timeline and use wave form to find clap and sync. I am looking for advice on how to organize my material. I am used to editing clips where audio /video are linked and synced. So...question is...once I sync audio/video in my DSLR project timeline, is there a way to link the audio/video and make it a clip that I can then place back in my browser so I can better organize my material?

Dan Herz
danherzproductions.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Best way to sync & organize separate Audio/Video clips in FCP 7
on May 22, 2012 at 12:12:39 am

I think the answer lies in re-exporting each clip with the new high quality sound - a product like Plural Eyes or Dual Eyes might save you a step or two but it can be done manually just as well.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Stephanie Joan
on May 22, 2012 at 9:40:40 pm

Here's another vote for Dual or Plural Eyes (Dual Eyes in a standalone app, while Plural Eyes works in your NLE).

You can arch the Dual Eyes demo on the product page:

http://www.singularsoftware.com/dualeyes.html

---------------
Stephanie
http://www.theculinarylife.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 8, 2012 at 6:54:42 pm

Dan, I'm currently doing this type of work as well. I'm having mixed results with Plural Eyes. My timeline contains about 80 clips along with external audio. PE sync'd about 70-80% of it accurately. The remaining clips did not sync, however I was able to sync manually all in one sequence. In your timeline delete the camera audio and then select the video and new audio and use the Link function, under the Modify menu or Command L on MAC. The in your timeline you can simply click on the clip and drag it back into your browser. I then recommend taggin that clip as manual sync. The you can move the new clip to whatever folder you'd like and it acts as new media.

I wouldn't recommend exporting the PE sync'd clips as self contained media, because then you'll have generation loss in quality. However, you can try the above or export reference media. But with a large project, reference media can be problematic.

hope this helps.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 8, 2012 at 10:21:22 pm

Hi Matt,

Re: "In your timeline delete the camera audio and then select the video and new audio and use the Link function"

I don't see how that could work - if you delete the camera original audio, there's nothing to sync the good audio to. I often manually sync my Zoom H4N good audio to camera audio but I do it simply by dragging the Zoom audio underneath the camera audio soundtracks and then matching waveforms

playing both soundtracks simultaneously tells me if I did it right...if I don't hear any echo or two completely different soundtracks then I'm golden - at that point I can hit control L as you suggest and unlink the bad audio from the video clip and can also link the good audio to the video clip instead. If I want to take the extra step, I can then export just that section of the timeline to create an entirely new clip with good, synced audio.

All the best Matt

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 8, 2012 at 10:35:02 pm

Steve, sorry, I may have misinterpreted that. I simply meant to delete the camera audio after the good audio has been sync'd to it.

And if you export those new clips, I would only export reference files or try my other method. If you export new clips as self-containded files, you're going to have gen-loss with each compression pass. Reference files and the other method, will not have any gen-loss, its simply referencing the original media and not creating new media.

With gen-loss it then becomes harder to color correct and color grade your footage. It's more likely to break up and get noisy on you.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Ryan Petrus
on Oct 7, 2014 at 6:36:45 pm

**There's actually an app called DreamSync, a standalone application that's built for the novice user as well as professionals. It syncs your footage and audio into one single clip so that it can then be imported into applications like iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut X, or any other editing suite. 
http://dreamsyncapp.com
Both apps are effective depending on your editing workflow and how much (or little) time you want to dedicate to learning another interface for syncing audio/video footage.  

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]