FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pix 240? Blackmagic Hyperdeck? What's Working well?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael De Lazzer
Pix 240? Blackmagic Hyperdeck? What's Working well?
on May 21, 2012 at 5:50:00 pm

Wondering if anyone has hands on with these recorders... I'm in the market for one and looking seriously at the Pix 240, but read a review which said there were issues with glitches in the video. I'll be recording DNxHD.

I like the Pix for its audio and time code capabilities. it seems like a well rounded unit.

Anyone having great success or failures? Share your thoughts...

Regards,
Michael

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Pix 240? Blackmagic Hyperdeck? What's Working well?
on May 23, 2012 at 12:30:57 am

I'd take a good look also at AJA and ATOMOS- lots of great choices out there depending on factors like your desired audio connections, built-in monitoring, etc.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Michael De Lazzer
on May 23, 2012 at 3:12:12 am

I've heard about users experiencing a TON of issues with the Ki Pro, and there's a lot of them on eBay right now.

The ATMOS products have a low quality monitor, but otherwise seem fine.

The three that seem to stand out are the Genesis (out of my budget), the Pix 240, and the BlackMagic Hyperdrive Shuttle.

I wrote this hoping people who have actually used them might chime in and give their impressions...

Cricket. Cricket.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 23, 2012 at 3:22:43 am

I've used the hyperdeck. You get what you pay for. It's pretty barebones, and kind of finicky. I'd go with the pix240.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Walleman
on May 23, 2012 at 3:59:48 am

We used a Hyperdeck for a couple of weeks... And promptly returned it. It's not worth what you pay for it. I'll have to be hard-pressed into touching another one.

I've also used the Ki-Pros. While I have had issues with the earlier versions, the newer models seem to work well. AJA has awesome customer service.

As for the Pix240... That one gets my vote. I know NFL Network crews who are using these. As well as a couple post facilities. It's operated rather flawlessly in the dozens of times that I've used it.
Sound Devices are quite proactive in their software testing... BEFORE selling their products. Customer service is great as well.

Personally, I'm waiting on the Pix260 to be released (youthfully giggling). I'll be purchasing 4 of them.

I was planning on filling up a couple racks with blackmagic hyperdeck studios... Then a good friend slapped me. "Friends don't let friends buy hyperdecks" he said.

Mark D. Walleman
Relay House Inc.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 23, 2012 at 4:15:35 am

I have had far better experiences with the hyperdeck studio rather than the hyperdeck shuttle. It's a far better device, and if your workflow fits what it's capable of, it's an excellent value. But what it's capable of is a rather narrow set of functions.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Campione
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:35:47 pm

Hi all,
Don't know if this even fits in the same class, but has anyone had experience with the MOTU V4HD?

I realize it does not have onboard drives and needs a laptop (or such) to record. The question is more reliability, support and overall thought.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]