FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viewfinder recommendation for Nikon D800

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
Viewfinder recommendation for Nikon D800
on May 9, 2012 at 4:15:52 pm

Can anyone recommend a viewfinder for the Nikon D800 (it has a 3.2" LCD)?

With an add-on EVF, would you be able to zoom in while recording in order to focus?

In general, what is preferable, an EVF or a loupe-based system like the Z-finder?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: Viewfinder recommendation for Nikon D800
on May 9, 2012 at 11:16:45 pm

The short answer is an LED screen, say a Small HD, DP4.

This type of accessory allows for pre-shot adjustments for potential overexposed or underexposed situations, plus more.

There are many brands, but the DP4 is also availed of a loupe.

Marshall, smallHD, and a dozen others.

HTH's

Rob

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on May 10, 2012 at 2:42:59 pm

Thanks Rob. I am very new to EVF, so can I ask you a couple of questions?

(1) With EVFs, are you able to zoom in during recording to check focus? I would think the answer is YES.

(2) The D800 sends a clean signal over HDMI which can be recorded. Would the recorder and/or the EVF have a pass-through so that you can record and monitor at the same time?

(3) Even though they're called HD, the resolution is much lower. Don't you want the resolution to match 1080p?

(4) Is it possible to use these (or any) EVFs hand-held?

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on May 10, 2012 at 4:43:09 pm

Hi Tony,

The screens for zoom should replicate the on camera zoom functions and the DP4 does have a loupe accessory. I will not be picking up my D800 for another week or so, and don't know this for certain.

The SSD recorders vary, I would check with companies who build them. I want to say yes, recalling that pass through is a function and in cases like the Ninja (correct me if wrong) the screen is integral on the recorder, capturing in 4.4.2 or better, AVID and ProRes. CineForm (PC or MAC) codec also has a field recorder, but it's in the high end range, $4,000 and up.

The resolution is adequate for focus purposes in most circumstances.

Hand held is a function of motor skills, without a rig? Yes, arms tucked. With a rig? A more ergonomic solution as one's arms and hands will get tired but the answer, yes.

Not sure if there are places in Cowland, but check the forums for displays and accessories etc.

Rob

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on May 17, 2012 at 6:33:33 pm

Rob,

Thank you for your input. I do not get to try these items so I have to rely on what I read.

The Ninja has a lower-res screen.

The D800 does not allow you to zoom in to 1:1 while recording. I would have hoped that monitors would allow that, since they are receiving a one-to-one signal. Instead of downsizing to fit into the low-res display, they could just crop, it seems to me. Not sure why they're not designed that way. In fact, I'm not sure why the camera is not designed that way.

EVF is definitely better than loupe over the camera LCD screen, right? The only plus I could think for the loupe (without having tried) is that it gives you three points of contacts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]