FORUMS: list search recent posts

To 5D Mark II or to 5D Mark III?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bleek Ramsey
To 5D Mark II or to 5D Mark III?
on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:44:31 pm

You may have read this a million times over...but just need an opinion to my plight.

I currently shoot a ton of DSLR video. My weapon of choice are 2 60Ds (Magic Lantern). Right now I am looking for a hero camera and when I heard the 5D3 came out, I got real excited. Now I am hearing mixed things really pertaining to the video improvements vs the price.

In all honestly is it worth the 3,500 price tag or would a refurbished 5D2 for 1700 be a better option?

I shoot: A lot of BTS, interviews (with external sound), an low budget music videos.

The 5D III doesn't come back in stock to my store of choice until Tuesday, so I got the weekend to think.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: To 5D Mark II or to 5D Mark III?
on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:16:23 pm

For me the answer is no - you seem to be filming, like I do, in situations where you basically have good light (or can improve it) and an opportunity to capture great sound too. The Mark II is going to be great for you and why not invest the extra money in lenses and other gear that will have a big impact on your look?

Here's a comparison table that might help you make up your mind.

http://f-stopjournal.blogspot.com/2012/03/quick-comparison-canon-eos-5d-mk-...

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Bleek Ramsey
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:12:03 pm

Good input Steve,

I also heard that the 5D also doesn't make "true 1080" just an upscaled 720 image.

I just read above about that Black Magic camera and now I am enticed. I am just looking for the sharpest image quality possible. Also the chance to have higher bit rate video files, and I know the 60d puts them through compression hell.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:22:47 pm

Yes, it's worth it. The low light capabilities, head phone jack, and audio controls are enough to convince me. You can crank up the ISO to 7,000 with no noise.

Here's a test shoot. vimeo.com/38897047

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop