FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH2 Hack - Which SD card to use?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Lester
GH2 Hack - Which SD card to use?
on Apr 18, 2012 at 1:48:38 am

Okay, so I just ordered my GH2 and am receiving it in the mail this coming Monday. I ordered a Sandisk Extreme 32GB 45 mb/s SD card and was wondering if anyone knew if that would work with the latest 176 mbit/s Driftwood hack. I've gotten a bit nervous because I spent $50 on the card and don't want to have to turn around, sell it, and buy a different card. So...

1.) Will the 45 MB/s write speed on te card be enough for the Driftwood hack?

2.) About how many minutes of footage can I expect to get with the 32GB card?

3.) Do you have a preferred GH2 hack, as in is the 176 mbit/s worth it, or should I do something like the 44 mbit/s or 88 mbit/s hack?

Thanks! Any other things you have to mention about filmmaking on the GH2 would be awesome.

- Jeff

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: GH2 Hack - Which SD card to use?
on Apr 19, 2012 at 3:41:12 pm

Don't be nervous. You've already ordered the stuff. It should work fine, but it's not a big deal if it doesn't. I shoot with the standard 25mb 24p and it looks great. I haven't found the need to run the hack at all. If I were you I would just run some tests with the standard firmware before you even think about the hack. Have fun, it's a great camera!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Morgan Reese
on Apr 20, 2012 at 1:13:17 pm

I believe if you follow the info on the hack they specify the faster 95MB/s card especially for the driftwood. I use the 95MB/s card with the driftwood and it records fine but the files are taxing on the performance of my older macbook pro...the images do look nice but I might agree with Jason. Learn the camera first and then try those. The base settings on the stock camera are stunning!

Return to posts index

Jeff Lester
on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:30:29 pm

Okay! Will do. The main reason I want the higher bit rate is not to get a sharper image, it's just that I want it to be as uncompressed as possible for color grading. I don't really think the hack makes the camera have more detail, but I do know that it allows you to push your footage a lot further while color grading. What are your thoughts on the 44mbs and 88mbs hacks?

And I'll take your advice, both of yours, on trying out the stock settings first :-)

Member of iFrosh

Return to posts index

Terry Tsangaris
on May 18, 2012 at 1:19:34 pm

Hi Jeff,Jason and Morgan good to see the GH2 at Creative cow,but since the numbers are not here you should check out this Forum on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lumixgh2/

Cheers

Terry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]