FORUMS: list search recent posts

T3i: Blue Color in High Contrast Areas?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Alex Walton
T3i: Blue Color in High Contrast Areas?
on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:13:22 am

I'm shooting with a T3i, and I'm noticing some blue color in sharp, dark areas. Here is a still to compare:

There are many areas, including the wrinkles in the skin, and sticks in the background, that appear to be a bland blue color. This is only slightly color corrected; the blue wrinkles are in the original raw files, only emphasized by the correction. Here is an extreme correction that shows the blue highlights:

Same thing can also be seen in this shot:

Could this be an effect of moire? Has anyone else ever seen this? I've shot with a T2i for a while and never noticed it. Just got the T3i last month, and seen this once or twice. Here are my settings that are factors to consider:

Shot with a 17-50 Sigma 2.8 lens. I'm using Magic Lantern, and a Marvels Cine style. My shooting settings were (as best as I can recall) 1080 24p, 1/48 shutter speed, ISO 160 and aperture around f/11? I was using 3x Zoom mode sometimes, but I don't think I was in either of these shots, but I could be mistaken.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: T3i: Blue Color in High Contrast Areas?
on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:52:18 am

Yup, I'd also say it's moiré. Typical for areas like that (the high contrasty wrinkles)...

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)

My german blog

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: T3i: Blue Color in High Contrast Areas?
on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:43:16 am

I'd agree with Peter's opinion too, but that's still pretty excessive moire, what are sharpness settings on the camera scene file you're using? Wind them right down. You can put a little bit of sharpness back in post if you need too. Proof that the Sigma must have excellent resolution too.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved