FORUMS: list search recent posts

UV Lens stuck and i mean stuck!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john shand
UV Lens stuck and i mean stuck!
on Mar 14, 2010 at 2:33:48 pm

I bought a Canon XH A1 second hand everything is perfect with it, except i can't remove the UV lens, its got a few little scratches appearing. I have tried everything; putting it in the cold,against a rubber pad, elastic band around it and twisting. Even a jam jar lid remover, twisting it on the bottom of the shoe and someone asked if i had tried vibrating it loose with a shaver.

Are there any tools to get it off, or super thin clamps to get it off.
Or any other techniques that won't destroy my camera in the process.

Any suggestions would be great
Thanks

Return to posts index

John Frey
Re: UV Lens stuck and i mean stuck!
on Mar 14, 2010 at 5:37:29 pm

This happened to me as well. As an absolute last resort, I used a pair of adjustable pliers, of course risking major damage to the lens itself. It worked and no damage.

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Mar 14, 2010 at 6:54:19 pm

yike! I would stay away from the pliers

Check this tool out I have one and it works wonders as it can grip the entire surface area of the stuck filter at once. I must have in any kit

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&Q=&IC=GBFW6277&A=Retriev...

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Mar 14, 2010 at 7:01:10 pm

I have found that the opposite is true with stuck filters, very gentle pressure with the pads of your fingers flat against the textured surface of the filter ring. Another good tip for a filter is before your screw it on the lens, get a pencil and follow the thread groove with the tip of the pencil, it provides lubrication to thew threads for easy removal.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

James Leaburn
on Mar 14, 2010 at 8:57:07 pm

The filter wrenches that Robbie mentions look the business but drastic measures may be needed if the thread or filter ring is damaged.

I dropped my lens just a few months ago and luckily it landed on the filter which took most of the force. Unluckily the filter ring had a dent in it which jammed it on to the lens and nothing would budge it.

I ended up running a thin ring of blue tac around the inside of the lens and cut a circle of cardboard the diameter of the inside of the lens which made a seal.

Then, (cover your ears if you are a bit sqeamish) I hacksawed through the filter ring and managed to peel the filter ring out of the thread. (you can uncover your ears now). I had to do a lot of delicate cleaning because the filter had smashed and there were a few tiny pieces of glass still hanging around in the thread of the lens.

Obviously this was drastic measures for for a disasterous dent but I thought I'd toss it into the ring in case it's of any use. It makes a nice horror story to tell other photographers.

If in doubt scream and shout.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 14, 2010 at 11:59:56 pm

A similar thing happened to me when an adapter ring got stuck on my HVX200. Nothing worked at all - then I got some grip gloves from Home Depot or Lowes, and it came off. I wouldn't use any pliers or anything like that, especially with glass involved.
The gloves work great, don't scratch, and don't break anything. They really should go in every shooters gear bag.

Return to posts index

john shand
on Mar 15, 2010 at 1:19:08 am

Thanks for all your advice guys, i will have to buy those UV wrenches they look perfect.
I will update, its been an on going problem for over a month now.

Return to posts index

Mike Jensen
on Mar 31, 2010 at 6:56:29 am

Wrap a rubber strap or surgical tubing around the lens then pinch together and twist. The strap equalizes the pressure around the ring. This is similar to how an oil filter wrench works.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Oops Sorry
on May 3, 2010 at 3:30:21 am

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Next time, stand the lens in it's mounying surface and put an ice cube on the filter. After it's melted a bit, hold the filter with the thumbs and middle fingers of each hand. Have someone else gently turn the lens. It's worked for me. It probably won't work for you.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

john shand
on May 3, 2010 at 8:02:41 pm

Hi guys. Thanks for all the help. I have bought UV filter removers and they didnt work. They are plastic and dont seem to grip enough on the metal UV.

I can't find any of those gloves, if your talking about those latex ones dentists use i tried and it didnt work.

Supposedly there is a solution around to slightly dissolve metal...this sounds even more risky than hacking it off, anyone heard of it?

I am thinking about using an ultra fine saw and slowly...very slowly sawing it off.

Unless there is any other methods before i do this.
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]