FORUMS: list search recent posts

The choices are hurting my head...

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Baker
The choices are hurting my head...
on Mar 11, 2012 at 1:16:53 pm

I've read many posts below this one, many reviews and so on and it all begins to get murky for me.
The choices are Canon 60D, maybe 7D or maybe even the 5D Mark2 or either Nikon D7000 or D5100. For video I would like to get at least 30fps in 1080p. So many nitpicky things with each... oh and I use FCP.

Visit us at;
http://www.frogpondproductions.biz
(860)884-6015

The creative urge is the demon that will not accept anything second rate.
-Agnes DeMille

Return to posts index

Chris Baker
Re: The choices are hurting my head...
on Mar 11, 2012 at 1:40:31 pm

Before I run out the door; I have shot everything from weddings to our local race track to local commercials and freelanced on a wide variety of projects.

Visit us at;
(860)884-6015

-Agnes DeMille

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Mar 11, 2012 at 1:56:10 pm

Chris,

As a Canon shooter, I'll restrict my thoughts to the models you mention. There are, of course, a lot of factors to determine your "best" camera, including where it will be used primarily– indoors v. outdoors, video only or photos as well, budget, subject matter (landscape v. wildlife), etc. That said:

60D v. 7D- I'd go with 60D. Same sensor and crop factor, but the 60D gives you the articulated screen, higher resolution viewfinder (about 10%), longer-lasting battery and significantly cheaper. Since it's "all about the glass", you'll have more money to spend on lenses. On the other hand:

7D- main winning factors here are better weather-sealing (if you'll be shooting in the elements) and the hands-down winner for photos (much faster frames per second, quicker focus, more focus points)

5DII- this is a different beast altogether. With a full-frame sensor your images will have an entirely different look with better low-light capabilities, more depth of field and the look that only a full-frame can give (you'll have to borrow/rent both to really get a sense of what you like). Not as feature-rich for video as this is where it really all began. Keep in mind that the full-frame sensor won't give you the lens "reach" of the 60D/7D so your 200mm on the 5D will be a field of view equivalent to a 320mm on the 60D/7D.

5DIII- the 5DII, but with significant upgrades for video. If you have the money, don't bother with the Mark II

Hope that helps,

Bill

27" iMac i7 quad-core, 16Gb RAM, Final Cut Pro 7.0.3, OS 10.6.7, 23" ACD

Return to posts index

Chris Baker
on Mar 12, 2012 at 3:07:49 am

Thanks that does help a lot! I was about to get to the whole full frame vs none ff which, coming from the video world confuses me a bit but I'll learn. I do like what I see from some of the lenses from both Canon and Nikon.

Visit us at;
(860)884-6015

-Agnes DeMille

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:30:14 pm

If you have the budget for the 5D MkII or MkIII, why not get a real video camera with the DSLR look, such as the Panasonic AF100.

The DSLR's have a great look, but also many issues when shooting video. It's definitely challenging using DSLR's for video, and not as cheap as many people think. You still need to go out and buy multiple lenses, audio gear, & support systems.

If you are set on getting a DSLR and have the budget, then I'd get the 5D MK III. If you are trying to save on a budget, the 60D is a great camera and the only in this bunch with a swivel screen, which is a tremendous help for shooting video.

The issues with the DSLR's are low quality audio, Moire, Jello effect on the video when hand held, rolling shutter. The upside is the shallow depth of field and a film like look using various lenses.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite