FORUMS: list search recent posts

It's All So Amazing...

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Vaughn
It's All So Amazing...
on Mar 7, 2012 at 2:29:38 am

As one who started his image creation career in the dark souping rolls of 120 Plus-X, 4x5 and 8x10 sheets, inhaling stop bath and fumbling with negative carriers, the way of things in the digital world is astounding and sometimes difficult to wrap my head around.

And just when I'm getting used to the idea that I can put 500 high resolution images on something the size of a postage stamp and look at them immediately, here comes the concept of shooting HD footage on the same DSLR.

And evidently the results can be quite good, not just "making do" because you didn't happen to have a vidcam with you at the time. When I first heard about this I thought "That's cute, you can shoot video with a still camera" but as I'm sure you know it's a serious option for video now.

Here's the point of my rambling...I wore out my Nikon D50 plain and simple. I won't go through all the rough duty it saw but finally the auto focus is acting up and spec-wise, it's lower than low end now. Coincidentally, I've been intending to move to HD video by getting what I can out of my Canon XL1s setup and using the proceeds for a new HD video camera.

So it occurs to me that I can upgrade both my still and video capabilities with one camera! Pretty smart huh? I've been doing my diligence, reading and investigating this whole DSLR video thing but I wanted to get the opinions of real users in addition to all the other information out there.

What are your thoughts and/or recommendations with regard to DSLR cameras and DSLR video?

I use Vegas Pro v11 for editing so I think I've got NLE software covered.

Thanks!

Ken

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
Re: It's All So Amazing...
on Mar 7, 2012 at 6:32:47 am

A nikon D50 means you have nikon lenses in your arsenal already ....

id say get yourself a Nikon D7000.($1100) 16 Mp of pure still image glory and video images to match . One caveat, you cant manipulate the fstop while in live view mode. Other than that i think its beautiful.

Or you can pre-order the nikonD800 ($3000) the 36Mp video beast. not in the wild yet but preview looks great.

Canons 7D, T3i and 5D & panasonic GH2 are all great as well and you can get a lens adapter so you can still use the nikkor glass u own.

At the end of the day most if not all of these DSLRs are actually great. you just have to choose one that suits u best.

High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Ken Vaughn
on Mar 7, 2012 at 6:51:56 am

[Nigel Thompson] "Or you can pre-order the nikonD800 ($3000) the 36Mp video beast. not in the wild yet but preview looks great."

Thanks for the input. It's interesting that you mentioned the D800, I was just reading some in depth info about it. And yes, it is going to be an awesome camera. Thing is, you drop $3K for a body and then you can think about lenses. The lenses I've got for the D50 are low end, I don't think they would do a camera like the D800 justice.

I started using Nikons in the military and carried the "F" regularly along with Leicas and Leicaflexes. Back then a top of the line body and three or four lenses might cost $2-3K...now it's a lot more. But DSLRs are way beyond film only cameras. I still have an FM10 and some lenses but I doubt it's worth much.

The thing I like about this idea is I can justify spending more as whatever I get will be replacing a still camera and a video camera. Not sure what I can get out of the XL1s, I can only be sure it will be a helluva lot less than I paid for it...

Ken

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 7, 2012 at 2:20:06 pm

[Ken Vaughn] "whatever I get will be replacing a still camera and a video camera."

It depends on what you mean by "a video camera." Although certain DSLRs will shoot video, they don't come close to the convenience and utility of a made-for-videography video camera.

I enjoy shooting video with my Canon 60D, and admire its capabilities. But when I pick up my EX1R to shoot video, it fits like a glove. Everything I want is right there. The Canon fits like a ... really padded mitten. (Although Magic Lantern helps, it is not without its problems.)

I was a lifelong Nikon shooter, btw, and never thought I'd like Canon, but I really, really like their equipment now.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Ken Vaughn
on Mar 7, 2012 at 3:35:08 pm

Bob,

Thanks for your input and you make two very good points. One, a DSLR might be able to shoot video, and HD video at that but it's not a "video camera". If I shot video day in and day out I'm sure a dedicated vidcam would be a no brainer. I've always like the XL1s and have looked at the HD version.

Point two, I'm not married to Nikon. I tend to be "brand loyal" until it becomes difficult to be as it has in other cases. I know Canon makes very good DSLRs.

I guess the end game here is that I'm thinking about concentrating on doing more free lance still photography and I'm trying to find a way to upgrade that capability on a budget that does have limits. Moving to a DSLR and getting rid of my vidcam would allow me to get a higher end camera and not give up video capabilities. So it's all about money I guess, go figure. I also wanted to be able at some point to do high speed, high resolution video but those cameras are pricey for sure.

Thanks again,

Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]