FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Nikon D7000/Canon 5D Mark II for a performance shoot?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Using Nikon D7000/Canon 5D Mark II for a performance shoot?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:11:49 am

I have an annual shoot coming up next month where a client has hired me in the past to shoot their big event which is about 20 dance groups performing on stage for about 6-8 minutes each. This year I was thinking of going with 2 HDSLR cameras to cover the event. One camera would be used as my master (wide shot) and the other would be on stedicam (close up) at the front of the stage.

I know with the Nikon I can record up to 20 minute clips. So that shouldn't be an problem. My question is do you think this is feasible to shoot this kind of event with a HDSLR? In years past I have used a Panasonic HVX200 or 2 DVX100's. The only problem I for see is that I would need to dump cards to a hard drive as they get filled up. The show is about 3-4 hours long. I would record my audio to my Zoom H4N coming from the board so I have a good audio to use then plan on using Pluraleyes to sync up the audio with video in post.

My guess is to use nothing smaller than a 8gb card and up to 16gb. I am not sure if a 32gb will run in the D7000. I haven't heard anyone talk about using anything higher than a 16gb in that camera. I know you can with the Canon 5D Mark II.

Your thoughts...should I consider shooting this event with HDSLR's or go back to planning to shoot this with a regular video camera?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Using Nikon D7000/Canon 5D Mark II for a performance shoot?
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:15:44 pm

Are you asking is it technically feasible- absolutely. I'd recommend simply getting enough SDHC cards to bang out the whole day without stopping to transfer. Compared to P2 cards or HD tapes- they're cheap as dirt. For me it'd be more a question of, do I think I can do a good job with the lenses I have to work with. That's a question of skill level, practice and the quality of your gear. I'd say go for it...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
Re: Using Nikon D7000/Canon 5D Mark II for a performance shoot?
on Mar 7, 2012 at 1:27:17 am

Thats a good idea to just stock up on a bunch of cards. I just have to figure out about how many I would need for a 4 hour show! LOL! I plan to stop recording when each group leaves the stage to save a few minutes of card time.

Thanks!

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]