FORUMS: list search recent posts

Portable on set lighting?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suley Suleman
Portable on set lighting?
on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:48:07 pm

Ok i have a strange dilema, in the next few weeks i am will be shooting some interviews at some events. I am currently using a Cannon 550d using magiclantern and use 50mm and 28mm lens to shoot the shots. Now usually the event organisers are fine with a few lamps being taken into to brighten the shots however with the next event we have lined up were told we can only take 1 lamp in. Now most of the lights we use are stand based usually works well as a pair. Now im thining rather then try take the one and have to adjust around with one side not being bright enougth im considering buying a lamp to place on top of the dslr in the hotshoe slot. Ive been looking around and just did a quick search on ebay and found these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=canon%20550d%20lig... im not sure if anyone has any experiance with any or can recomend anything but it would be used to shoot interviews.

Just before someone asks me why can i only take one? Well the last event we have anouther broadcaster started to huff and puff over space and keept complaining over various things which got the pr company very annoyed. So on this event they have specifically stated everyone can only bring 1 lamp pre hand. There will be room lighting etc and possibly some extra stage lighting but no promises on what kind.

Any help is always apreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Portable on set lighting?
on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:45:32 pm

Bring a softbox light on a stand for your key and then a reflector...the reflector can be an effective fill.

But really the problem isn't with you bringing in one two or even three lights, it's a problem with the PR company thinking this is too big of a pain in the butt....if you make things very easy for them, don't complain about the conditions but solve problems professionally I think you wil be okay. To be honest I'd have all my lights with me (and then to start off just bring in the one on a stand and a reflector to see what you can do. If the vibe is cool, maybe add a small background light - don't have to make a big deal of it...I think this can be worked out - bottom line, the PR company are not filmmakers and don't really understand WHY certain things are needed in - but if you can schmooze them a little and make their day easy they will LOVE you even if you brought every light in the world with you.

I hope that helps you!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:51:18 am

I got a YN-160 LED battery light from eBay recently. I've only used it to light some scenes (not interviews) so far, but I'm pleased with it - nice and bright. And, as well as the hotshoe mount, it has a (albeit plastic) tripod thread in the bottom of its stand, so you can attach it to whatever support system you have (I use CCTV gimbals on marquee clips). Very handy for high-speed setup
- Paddy

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Mar 27, 2012 at 7:57:15 pm

I agree with what Steve says. If it turns out the "one light" rule holds then my suggestion, like Steve's, would be a soft box I prefer soft bounce for fill over a reflector but that's a matter of taste. Bead board or foam core is nice. Try something white on one side and black on the other in case you decide negative fill is better.

The lamp-on-the-dslr hotshoe a the key should be a last resort and should have some diffusion. Instead I'd use it as a very low level eyelight only. Let the soft box/bounce do your modelling. And-you've snuck in a second light:)

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]