FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rebel ti2 - HDMI output running for hours, can it cause heat problems?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aurel Wünsch
Rebel ti2 - HDMI output running for hours, can it cause heat problems?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 2:55:28 pm

Hi,

I consider using a few Rebel Ti2 to livestream an event. Magic Lantern allows me to get a image without any OSD elements and as we stream in 720p the resolution you get from the HDMI output is sufficient too.

Now I saw a few topics on the internet about how liveview and similar things can cause heat problems with the cameras, does any one have any experience with that?

We would be shooting indoors so we will not have too high temperatures or direct sun light on the camera.

Would I risk damaging the camera when I just test it or is there some safeguards to prevent that. (I obviously would use the standard firmware for the test in case something goes wrong)

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
Re: bel ti2 - HDMI output running for hours, can it cause heat problems?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 4:50:35 pm

I am not sure about this but I have seen other people do it with no problem. One question is why not live stream with a video camera with smooth zoom in and zoom out capabilities along with xlr inputs? I have shot full events before with DSLR where all footage had to be usable and it seems to have more drawbacks than benefits. I know we are in this mindset now as filmmakers that it is DSLR or nothing but I think it is important to remember what real video cameras were designed for.

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Aurel Wünsch
on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:22:48 am

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The main reason is that we are running on a very low budget and have the DSLRs available so using 2 of them for our rather static shots would help a lot. We will also use 2 video cameras for the more dynamic shots.

XLR inputs is a non-issue as we use wireless microphones connected to our sound board for all audio.

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:28:04 pm

Ah, Good to know.
I wish you luck on your shoot!
Regarding the overheating issue, I have not experienced it but it will be good to see what others say about that on the cow.

Cheers!

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Feb 28, 2012 at 4:14:18 pm

Yes they overheat. The T2i is especially prone to heat. Running continuous, you will shoot for only 20-30 minutes before the sensor will overheat. If you are running Magic Lantern it may be shorter as it causes additional processor drain, battery drain and a hot sensor. Keep a fan nearby so you can cool off the camera.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Aurel Wünsch
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:54:22 am

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your input.

Does that also happen if you don't record on the t2i and just have the HDMI output enabled to feed into our switcher? I would imagine that by not recording on camera a lot less heat is generated.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:04:33 pm

Actually, its the sensor itself that generates the most heat. Memory procedure will also add heat (I dropped a lot of heat by using class 10 cards instead of class 6), but I've overheated in the video preview mode just trying to get the shot right. If you can, get the 7D - its the same basic camera as the T2i, but has 2 DIGIC chips instead of just the 1. Also, with the pro-chassis, I have fewer troubles with the 7D.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]