FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compact Flash Cards: 30 MB/s versus 60 MB/s?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Morrill
Compact Flash Cards: 30 MB/s versus 60 MB/s?
on Mar 12, 2010 at 5:20:34 pm

I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the difference between compact flash cards with transfer speeds of 30 MB/s and 60 MB/s. I am going to be shooting on a Canon 7D, 1280 x 720 both at 23.98 and 50 fps. I'm not particularly concerned with how long it will take me to transfer this footage to my computer rather I am more concerned with the camera functioning optimally while I'm shooting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
Re: Compact Flash Cards: 30 MB/s versus 60 MB/s?
on Mar 12, 2010 at 5:51:48 pm

I use the Kingston pro x133 cards in my 7D the specs are, 25MB/sec read, 20MB/sec write, I have no problems using them for video at 1080p.
The other cards I use are SanDisk ultra ll I think these are around 10Mbps, again no issues with video and the 7D.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Neil Abeynayake
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:09:59 pm

The 7D transfer video (both) 1080 and 720p at approx. 330 MBytes/minute. This corresponds to around 5.5 MB/sec. You will be fine with either 30 or 60 MB/s cards. The difference is how each manufacturer arranges the given data internally.

We've had excellent results with SanDisk products. We tested a SanDisk "Extreme Pro" 90 MB/s (32 GB) card recently. Even though, some may say that it is an "overkill", we found it did not drop any frames even at 90% capacity.

"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else".

Confucius

Return to posts index

Sam Morrill
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:12:54 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. If anyone else has any wisdom on the matter, it'd be great to learn more.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:09:33 am

It seems that speed is not such a factor as sustained speed. Many cards can write fast bursts for photos, but have problems with video. To be on the safe side, get a card specified as UDMA.

BTW, you won't experience dropped frames, just drops in quality. I can't speak for the 7D, but the 5D reduces the data-rate (i.e. more compression) when it senses a slow card.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]