FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Lens Recommendation.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wood
DSLR Lens Recommendation.
on Feb 18, 2012 at 8:04:23 pm

Hello, I was hoping to get some help on this topic.

I will be shooting a short film in March, and I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens, and the nifty fifty lens.

I really like the nifty fifty, however I find the DoF too dramatic, and the focal length is so long I need to be really far away from anything to get it in shot.

I was wondering if there is a better alternative, especially when it comes to bargains from older / incompatible lenses, made compatible with adapters.

On that subject, what disadvantages does having an adapter bring? I find I am most comfortable manually adjusting the focus, I rarely if ever use autofocus.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: DSLR Lens Recommendation.
on Feb 19, 2012 at 4:11:09 pm

Check out KEH.com for used wide angle lenses (primes) - look at 2nd Tier brands like Sigma and Tamron - something in the 24mm range would be nice for you. Since you are not so much into the shallow depth of field thing - you should be okay with slightly "slower" lenses say in the 2.8 to 4 something range.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

John Young
on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:55:06 pm

I find that Nikon Nikkor primes are a great bang for your buck. Also, think about the Tokina 11-16. I have never used it, but people I deeply respect rave about that lens. Even though it is made for cropped sensors, people use it with their full-frame cameras to get really great wide angle shots.

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wood
on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:45:44 pm

Thanks for the answers, guys, I'm also looking at FS lenses with a lens adapter to get some really cheap but nice shots. I know the extra lens element takes the light levels down an F-stop, but I'm really attracted to the prospect of getting a cheaper lens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]