FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nikon D800 vs Canon 5D MII?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Michaels
Nikon D800 vs Canon 5D MII?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:45:15 pm

The new D800 looks pretty sweet with the 28mp but what's everyone's opinion on it? I'm looking to trade in my 5D MII, because im tired of the jello effect i get and the false ISO in night shots at low aperature.

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: Nikon D800 vs Canon 5D MII?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:25:51 am

Too soon to tell about the claims as to improved, or reduced moire/rolling shutter.

Nikon's PR suggests CPU, low-light focus, capture and OS (Ex-speed) are mitigating that, plus or minus?

The promo (ad) and the behind scenes, are fairly interesting as the subject is on a speed bike, with a lot of static focus on the machine, rider, long and short shots as it negotiates Chicago at night.

I like the off camera uncompressed HD capture (4.2.2) versus the h.264 on card, and also the live view is active during that, unlike the D4 which is as much a change, with 18MP before DX crop but twice the cost.

My question, remains unanswered by the denizens around a few forums, as to if or what improvements are gained (not gain per se) by having a more dense array of photo-sites, in the nominal 2MP frame captures?

Will that be compelling and improved enough to change the paradigm?

We shall see.

Rob

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:31:14 am

I shoot a lot of things on my D7000, and rolling shutter is a non-issue at least on what I've been using it for (and that includes driving and running shots). Excellent ISO and great overall image quality make it a very useable system. The D800 and D4 look utterly awesome.

The only issue for me with all of these dSLRs is that it is still only 8 bit.

I'll get really excited when we have a 10 bit log or better camera in this market segment. Till then we'll still be renting Sony F35, Alexa, or Red for "real" shoots.

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:03:44 pm

Yep, real shoots, 10 BIT and S-log.

Ive just finished a short piece from the NAMM show, at Fender's suite of a set.

Crowd made it impossible to execute anything but static takes, some AF built in moments which are overlaid with history of brand, and player, and yes the video looks very, very good!

Only mistake, was upping ISO during the set, once in edit, the 400 ISO was fine making flesh tones just about perfect, lots of orange and red in the stage area so I boosted the ISO two clicks, and now have more saturation tweaks to match first part of takes.

Otherwise, the 24-70 f2.8, did admirably well in a stage lit, darkened and over hued room.

The D800 and D4 loom, to be sure.

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:27:16 am

Had dinner with my DP friend, he's going on a corporate shoot next week to Silicon Valley, big CEO promo for a computer company.

Using the FS100, but, he just back from Japan where he perused the largest camera store, and has decided to sell the FS100 and buy the D-800.

He's a Japanese native, and based upon the engineering he was reading about in the literature plus his peers over there, he feels that the D-800 will be a better choice because of lenses, 4.2.2 etc.

Too deep for my blood in technical terms, but I learn a lot whenever I ask a question about such idioms.

Point taken then.

To each his own.

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:50:11 pm

hey guys
Rob ... whats crackin ?

Ill have to lean toward the D800 out of the gate for this one.... one major factor is uncompressed out HDMI ......

Technically from what ive read .... its a superior camera in a few regards .....

the 8bit thing does not bother me too much ..... use the camera for jobs that can afford it. buy yourself a PIX 240 or 220 and have some fun.

just be careful with what you put in front the lens ... have a matte box and proper ND's and polars etc..... have as much control as possible and believe me the 8bit thing will not even be an issue.

i used a D7000 now as well on small stuff , i find it a bit noisy at times but when u have control and set up properly its a non issue

High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:47:23 pm

Thanks Nigel, the Sound Devices is very hip, I'm sure there is an equal type of device for the PC crowd, and CineForm.

Return to posts index

Brett Michaels
on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:44:41 pm

I'm still waiting to see what else pops up in the gear section at http://www.productionbooth.com

Its been slow while they are getting ready for their beta launch, but in the past they've been pretty up-to-date with reviews for every new camera.

Maybe a Nikon D900?!!!!????!?!?!? haha... we'll see what happens at NAB this year. Is anyone else going?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]