FORUMS: list search recent posts

slo-mo (but not that slow)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris larsen
slo-mo (but not that slow)
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:51:42 am

So I have done some tests with 60 fps conformed to 24fps conformed via cinema tools but that is too slow for me. I have done some speeding back up in final cut, but it either choppy or it regains the look of 60fps, which I do not desire.

Here is an example of what I shot

Canon 7d
720p60
1/125
800 - 1000 iso
18-55 efs lens (mostly 18mm with aperature around 4.5 or 5.6)

I am only pleased with the 3rd shot (on the rainbow shaped rail) but that speed is too slow for every slo-mo shot. How do I get smooth looking slow mo that is nearer to .75 of original speed? Also do I need to adjust my shutter speed/angle to get the right blur? Please help!

Thanks!

Chris Larsen

the only really smooth clip is the 3rd (rainbow shaped rail), which kept it's original timing

Return to posts index

chris larsen
Re: slo-mo (but not that slow)
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:16:57 am

Just for clarification the 3rd clip is at 24fps

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Feb 14, 2012 at 4:27:31 pm

You might try the optical flow technology built into Apple Motion.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:23:45 am

Assuming you want to be finishing at 24 fps, then shooting at 30 fps will "take the edge off" without being overly slow.

Also, if shooting at 60, try using the longest shutter speed possible (should be close to 1/60), and then use "Twixtor" or "Kronos" (plug ins for after effects), or AE's own time remap option (with flow field analysis).

In any case, avoid using a shutter speed faster than 1/125 when shooting at 60fps, as motion will tend to be "stroby/stuttery".

A combination for flow and frame blend should give you some decent variable rates out of the 60 fps.

Don't waste your time trying to varispeed in Final Cut Blow, as that will only lead to frustration.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]