FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buggy Firmware In IKAN VL5

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Biando
Buggy Firmware In IKAN VL5
on Feb 10, 2012 at 6:57:47 pm

I purchased a VL5 kit in late January. In using the various functions, I found two items to be problematic. The color peaking would not work and I could not get the monitor out of underscan. The documentation is worse than non existent so I called Ikan and spoke to their customer service. They were very helpful. The person I talked to set up a VL5 and went through the menus with me doing the same on mine. Guess what? Those two issues I had, the customer service person also had. After a discussion with a tech, it was determined by Ikan that there is a bug in the firmware and these menu items are involved. The customer service person said he would email the factory and offered to exchange my monitor for one with updated firmware when that would be available. He said he should hear back from the factory in a week. That was two weeks ago. So far I have not received a reply to my subsequent query. Since the return period is rapidly running out for me, and I really don't trust Ikan to come up with a fix soon, I will return the monitor and go with a Marshall. But before I do I wanted to post this in COW and ask if anyone has had trouble with those two monitor functions and if there are special "tricks" to get them to work.

The peaking button toggles between off and BW Peaking and should toggle to a third state which is color peaking but doesn't. I cannot get the monitor out of underscan. The screen glitches when the button is pushed, but returns to underscan.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Danny Biando
KTXL Fox 40 TV

Return to posts index

Danny Biando
Re: Buggy Firmware In IKAN VL5
on Feb 10, 2012 at 11:27:00 pm

Update:

Ikan has just told me that the firmware issue has been fixed and they will exchange the monitor. Expected delivery of new monitors is late next week. I will send mine in for replacement and report back on what happens. Thanks!

DBiando

Danny Biando
KTXL FOX40
Tribune Broadcasting
Sacramento

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Feb 11, 2012 at 6:26:40 pm

Thanks, Danny. Good to know.

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Danny Biando
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:04:30 am

Just for an FYI...I received the replaced VL5 today. It works OK. No problems with the menu items.

Danny

Danny Biando
KTXL FOX40
Tribune Broadcasting
Sacramento

Return to posts index

Sam Red
on Jan 7, 2013 at 11:21:30 pm

Thank you for the heads up it's very nice to know that they are responsive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]