FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD to DVD

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kristine halmrast
HD to DVD
on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:15:23 pm

Hei,

I´ve shot a film with Canon5d, imported it as HD 1920*1080, ApProRes (HQ).
Exporting it as a QT file is no problem. But burning that QT file as a DVD creates great quality loss. (I expected some loss, but not this much)

This is my workflow:
FCP -> Export as QT (current settings) -> Burn in Toast / DVD Studio Pro.

Anyone? :)

Best wishes
Kristine

Kristine

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HD to DVD
on Feb 9, 2012 at 1:56:52 am

If you use DVD Studio Pro...you should use the DVD BEST QUALITY presets in Compressor.

Other than that, there's not much you can do. HD at 1920x1080 burned to DVD is now 720x480. There will be a LOT of quality loss. This is why it is HIGH definition. It won't look anywhere near the quality of the original HD. Some DVD players can upscale well (BluRay ones can)...other than that, you are relying on the upscale abilities of the TV, and the quality of that depends on the model of TV...but most are not good.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:36:07 pm

Transcoding to quicktime may be part of the problem. What are you using to author your DVD? If you use Encore, you can just let Encore do the transcoding for you.

What is happening is you are transcoding to one codec and the DVD authoring software is transcoding it again, further degrading your images.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 9, 2012 at 11:00:47 pm

Make sure you downcovert to 16:9 720x480 before encoding to MPEG2. Otherwise the downconvert/MPEG2 at the same time will result in quality loss...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

kristine halmrast
on Feb 9, 2012 at 11:16:48 pm

Hei, Noah.
I´ll try to convert it 16:9 720*480 then MPEG2.
Thanks!

K

Kristine

Return to posts index

kristine halmrast
on Feb 9, 2012 at 11:14:14 pm

Thanks Brent, I´ll try Encore! :)

K

Kristine

Return to posts index

kristine halmrast
on Feb 12, 2012 at 12:15:57 pm

Hei, again Brent.
Encore does a better job, but I still have some nasty lines in the movements. I don´t know too much about Gop settings and Bitrate settings. Could you help?

My source video exported from FCP using current settings:
1920*1080, 25 fps, Lower, Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ), Linear PCM, HD (1-1-1), 48 HZ Stereo.

In Encore these are my export choices:
Video format:
*Mpeg2-DVD (I can´t make it as a BluRay, so I´m guessing this is right)

Basic Video Settings:
*Quality: 1 - 5 (which should I choose?)
*Field order: None(progressive)/Upper/Lower (which should I choose?)
*Pixel Aspect Ratio: Standard 4:3 / Widescreen (which should I choose?)

Bitrate Settings:
Minimum Bitrate: 1,5 - 9 (which should I choose?)
Target Bitrate: 1,5 - 9 (which should I choose?)
Maximum Bitrate: 1,5 - 9 (which should I choose?)

GOP settings:
M Frames: 2 - 8 (which should I choose?)
N Frames: 10 / 15 (which should I choose?)

Audio Settings:
128 / 160 / 192 / 224 / 320 / 384 / 448 (which should I choose?)

And that was a lot of questions, but hope you can help! :)

Best Wishes
Kristine

Kristine

Return to posts index

kristine halmrast
on Feb 9, 2012 at 11:13:19 pm

Hei, thanks for your respons. I´ve used DVD BEST QUALITY in Compressor..., still looks bad. I haven´t tried Encore yet, I should try that.

Thanks!
K

Kristine

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 13, 2012 at 11:39:39 pm

Just remember- it's a two step process. First downconvert to SD 16:9 ProRes. And *then* use that as your MPEG2 source. Do those two at the same time- i.e. 1080p ProRes directly to MPEG2 will result in much lower quality. Scaling and MPEG2 encoding at the same time- at least in Compressor is not the way to do it.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

kristine halmrast
on Feb 14, 2012 at 12:09:12 am

Hei Noah,

I gave up, and are now trying a different process. Creating a VideoTS and AudioTS folder from the HD1920*1080 material. The plan is to burn it through Toast as VideoTS / AudioTS folders.

In DVD Studio Pro I get these options when I choose Build/Format to harddrive:
-IMG, creates HVDVD_TS folder with BUP/IFO/ EVO files: VLC / QT player won´t recognise it.
-DDP3.00, creates DAT/XML files: VLC / QT player won´t recognise it.
-CMF creates DAT / XML / BUP / IFO / EVO files: it runs through VLC & QT player, but with a flickering image (though with good resolution) and strong buzzing in the audio.

Through Encore I can´t seem to get the Timeline to be 1920*1080, it just scales it down to 720*576 automatically.

I don´t know if you´re used to Encore / DVD studio Pro, if you have a different suggestion on how to create VideoTS / AudioTS folder from HD material, please let me know :)

Thanks a heap!

Kristine

Kristine

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:11:57 am

You cannot make HD files and put them onto a regular DVD. It doesn't work that way. If you are burning a regular DVD, it MUST be Standard Def...720x486. The HD DVD preset you are finding in Compressor is for a format that lost the HD DVD wars. BluRay won out. If you want to make an HD version of a DVD, you need to get a BluRay burner and use toast to make a BluRay disk. Then the people viewing will need BluRay players.

If you are making regular DVDs...they must be encoded as 720x486. As Noah suggested, going to SD first, THEN making the DVD will give you the best results.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Mar 3, 2012 at 4:30:06 pm

[Shane Ross] " You cannot make HD files and put them onto a regular DVD. It doesn't work that way." It works for me. I have been making SD DVD's that look great, by importing a HD 1440x1080 60i ProRes LT file directly into EITHER Toast 10 or even IDVD. I am using 1440x 1080 60i settings because I have been shooting in HDV. The quality looks great, even on a 50 inch . It is a one step process, just drag the PRORES file into either program. It takes about 3 hours to encode and burn the first DVD from a 60 min source

Return to posts index

Alfredo Perez
on Sep 29, 2012 at 2:50:15 pm

Hi guys I have a question about your suggestion to down convert first to SD first. What do I do with the frame rate my footage was shot at 24p. Do i export from FCP leaving the same frame rate or do i change it to 29.97?

Return to posts index

Alfredo Perez
on Sep 29, 2012 at 2:50:56 pm

Hi guys I have a question about your suggestion to down convert first to SD first. What do I do with the frame rate my footage was shot at 24p. Do i export from FCP leaving the same frame rate or do i change it to 29.97?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]