FORUMS: list search recent posts

monitor for DSLR focus - the Goldilocks Solution

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
monitor for DSLR focus - the Goldilocks Solution
on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:25:14 pm

I'm looking for a compact, lightweight monitor for hand-held videography with my Canon 60D. I currently use the Zacuto Pro on the camera's LCD, which works, but the limited resolution of the camera's screen makes it quite challenging to maintain critical focus of moving subjects at wide apertures.

For most applications, the Zacuto Pro is fine. But for those low-light, wide-aperture occasions, I need a slightly bigger monitor. I don't want to trick the camera out with an elaborate shoulder brace, so I'm looking for a monitor that is just big enough. I like the 6.5" 1024x768 pixel Marshall V-LCD651STX for tripod-mounted work, but for handheld, I'd prefer something smaller.

I've tried to learn about the SmallHD line. The resolution of the SmallHD DP4 looks a little too low at 800x480, but I'm concerned about the size of the DP6.

Focus and Framing - that's all I want. The monitor could be black and white for all I care, as long as it's as light and small as it can be, while getting the job done.

Including the battery, what do you think is the Goldilocks solution for a monitor for a handheld DSLR?

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
Re: monitor for DSLR focus - the Goldilocks Solution
on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:12:25 am

Bob, take a look at the Ikan monitors. Both the 5.6" (V5600) and 7" (VH7E) have 1024x600 resolution. The 7" is newer and less expensive and has more bells and whistles.

Rick

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 1, 2012 at 5:19:17 am

Bob,

I've used the SmallHD DP6 mounted on top of my GH2 while handheld. It actually worked out quite well to use it with the neoprene sunhood attached. I could squish my face into it comfortably and it added stability while blocking out extraneous light.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 1, 2012 at 6:36:45 pm

Thanks Rick, Jason.

Another aspect to this question is that many DSLRs (e.g. Canon 60D, 5D Mark II) will downsize the HDMI output when the camera starts recording video.

So one more criterion is whether the monitor will automatically recognize the downrezzing, and resize the image, when the HDMI output changes.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 4, 2012 at 4:20:11 pm

[Bob Cole] "So one more criterion is whether the monitor will automatically recognize the downrezzing, and resize the image, when the HDMI output changes."

Bob,

Small HD has some great videos on that very subject. Here is one:

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:58:12 pm

For my last film I used a Zacuto EVF with my GH2. The EVF has a digital zoom focus assist feature. Through the use of a homemade bracket and an old manual shutter release cable I was able to rig it up so that I could quickly and easily trigger the focus assist with my right hand finger while keeping my left hand on the lens. It worked great.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:51:42 pm

check out the monitors at lcd4video.com

I use a 7 inch monitor on top of my DSLR when tripod mounted.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Darin Griffith
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:35:03 pm

I've been using the Ikan V5600 5.6" LCD Monitor for a while now and it has helped immensely with focusing issues. I shoot with a Pana HMC-40 and Canon 7D. The monitor has 1024x600 resolution, which isn't as high as I would like, but it is much better than the tiny built in LCD monitors on camera. It can run from the AC adapter or battery and has HDMI input so it works with my camcorder and DSLR which it is pretty handy/versatile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]