FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic advice

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Mic advice
on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:59:11 pm

The setup is 1 maybe 2 H4N's we want a mic to plug into the XLR socket on the H4N to capture sound on each end of a long table. What hand-held mics would be suitable for this? I'm we have done a small test with a Sennheisher cardioid condenser mic but they don't capture enough signal because they are mainly used as vocal miss where you are speaking directly into the diaphragm. Should I be looking for an omni or omni directional mic?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Mic advice
on Jan 22, 2012 at 5:56:47 pm

I know there are specialized "flat" microphones that are designed just for conference table applications (they look like conference room phones sold by Plantronic) - you can check into those but also I would first try simple experiment to see what can be achieved by placing one Zoom H4N itself at one end of the table and a second closer to the other end, in other words not attaching any external mic to it...since you can move the mic heads it MIGHT work for you and would certainly be a lot cheaper...just a thought.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 23, 2012 at 2:24:35 am

Hi Marc -

What Steve is talking about is a PZM (Pressure Zone Microphone). It's great for conference rooms, and you can find out way more than you want to know about them here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLetter/ExploringBoundaries.jsp

They are also referred to as boundary mics.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:12:50 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I like the look and sound of them but I only want them to record at a top table in a wedding situation so I think they might be over kill to be honest.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]