FORUMS: list search recent posts

Check out my newest cinematography demo reel!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason ryan
Check out my newest cinematography demo reel!
on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:08:48 pm

Hey folks, check out my newest long form cinematography demo reel at http://www.psychicflyingmonkey.com/Films/demo-reels/jason-ryan-DP-demo-reel...

Two of the featured pieces were shot on my Canon 7D and I shot some of the time lapse for "Solo" with it as well.

While this is primarily a cinematography reel, I made sure to edit some treats in there, too.

You can view my reels, films and resume at http://www.psychicflyingmonkey.com/films-of-jason-ryan/home.htm

Jason Ryan
http://www.psychicflyingmonkey.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Check out my newest cinematography demo reel!
on Jan 15, 2012 at 2:07:02 am

Jason - it's not that you aren't talented because clearly you are but here is my feedback

* You are violating copyright by using the Johnny Cash song and anyone who would hire you will or should know this. I wouldn't hire you for this reason alone - it's simply unprofessional.

* I only got 50 seconds in before I gave up, yes the shots are very nice however they are all clearly from the same project. This sends the message that you haven't shot anything else that you want to show .... now I am sure this isn't the case and maybe you actually have different stuff later on in your demo reel but like I said I could only get through 50 seconds before I gave up.

Maybe you should consider taking this one down and trying again.

I hope this doesn't come across as unduly harsh because that wasn't my intent at all.

Return to posts index

jason ryan
on Jan 21, 2012 at 12:03:15 am

Steve,

I was told by a friend that produces the in-depth athlete segments for the Dew Tour on NBC that it's best to use a song that people know for demo reels. Now do most pro cinematographers/directors/actors that use popular songs in their demo reels pay for music rights? I don't know. I doubt it, though. Many pro demo reels I've seen do have popular songs in them.

Thanks for the input about the 50 seconds. Upon further research, I found that most cinematography reels will only contain 30 seconds or less of one project. I'll be adding to this reel when a commercial I shot is released in the next two weeks, so I'll pare every featured project down to 30 seconds or less.

Jason Ryan

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 15, 2012 at 4:52:47 am

You might also want to be careful tossing the title "Cinematographer" around. You're putting yourself in some pretty weighty company without having ever done a feature film, it appears.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Jan 15, 2012 at 3:08:37 pm

I think your work looks nice. You are talented.

I would make a few changes to strengthen your reel:

•Make it 1.5 minutes tops. It's waaaaaaaay too long. You have a lot of really awesome shots that show off your skills and you have a lot of banal shots too. Just use your very best shots and shave your reel down to a tight, 1.5 minute piece.

•I wouldn't format your reel by shows. Mix the footage up. It makes it far more interesting to watch if you jump around show to show. I don't need to know the names of the show or if it is a web series. You could put that information at the very end if you really want to.

•Regardless of copyright issues of using Johnny Cash (I'm not condoning it, but I know a lot of people who use unlicensed music for their reels), the song isn't reel music in my opinion. I think Johnny Cash is awesome though. But you need something energetic with a great beat that you can cut to.

Really great work though!

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:25:55 pm

Hi jason,
I agree with most points of Steve and Kevin.
You have great stuff, but for the reel:
Shorter, give more rhythm, a different music and take the titles away.
Making your own reel is much harder than doing somebody else reel.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

jason ryan
on Jan 21, 2012 at 12:22:53 am

Kevin,

All of the reels I've released prior to this one have been about 2 minutes. Basically they're sizzle reels. This one is my long reel. I plan to make another sizzle reel from this reel's footage that's around 2 minutes.

I found Suki Medencevic, ASC has a reel online that does have the footage divided up by projects at He did an interesting thing, though. He put a montage of shots from these projects at the beginning of the reel to give viewers a preview of what they'll see. I'll probably do that when I make a new reel in a couple weeks, and put the footage divided by projects after the montage. I probably will pull down the names of the pieces, as most people don't think it's necessary.

I would like to know which shots you think should absolutely stay in. I'm too close to all these shots now, so outside input will really help me from cutting the best stuff.

Some folks have told me the Johnny Cash song really works with my reel, and some have told me it doesn't. I've used instrumentals with great beats in the past for my reels, and I wanted to do something different. I think the song does work with my footage.

Thanks for the input. It will help me when I'm doing my re-edit soon. Glad you liked my stuff!

Jason Ryan

Return to posts index

Kevin Kamin
on Jan 21, 2012 at 5:47:46 am

To be honest his demo reel is too long too. I'm not going to sit through a 5-minute video that is just a string of random clips, unless the work is absolutely amazing. Some show reels like the Mill Show Reel can sustain a slightly longer viewing. Their reel is full of variety from 30 sec spot that cost in the hundred of thousands of dollars.

Some of your shots are really pretty and engaging; pick those to keep. Maybe ask yourself if you could make a compelling still photograph from the scene. Your less successful shots pull down your reel right now. It makes me think you don't know how to handle some situations and make them interesting with lighting.

SOPA and PIPA which just got shot down would have given infringers up to 5 years in prison for harboring copyrighted material. I think you might want to reconsider using unlicensed music for your reel. You have a lot to lose and little to gain. You don't need recognizable music for your reel; I think that's incorrect. You need fitting music for your reel that drives the piece. The song you have right now doesn't drive the piece. It's just sort of there and puts a mood over the piece. Imo you need a song that has different sections and strong hits.

Good luck.

You are your own worst enemy right now. You have some really strong stuff there. I might consider finding a talented editor and let him or her see what they can do. I think you are right, you are too close to it and I can tell you don't want to let a lot of your initial decisions to change.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]