FORUMS: list search recent posts

Magic Lantern

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe campbell
Magic Lantern
on Jan 13, 2012 at 3:12:34 pm

Hi,

I have a new T2I. I am planning to put Magic Lantern on it. Any suggestions. What about the Canon update? Should I install the update before doing Magic Lantern? Any other helpful suggestions about doing the Magic Lantern?

Joe

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Magic Lantern
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:17:57 pm

Hi Joe -

It is absolutely critical that you have the latest version of the T2i firmware on the camera. Start here on the T2i ML Wiki site and read everything:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

I just did my T2i, and I was biting my nails all through the process. Guess what - nothing to worry about. Just follow the directions explicitly. There's an installation file available which walks you through the steps, the a user guide which install to your camera, so you've got everything on board. It's not immediately intuitive - read the manual. You get to the ML menu by pressing the Trashcan button - did I say non-intuitive?

So what do I have now? With the Xmas release, which I installed, I now have the ability to do a follow focus automatically, HDR shooting with ease (up to 9 shots, I think), ISOs which are off the charts, and tons more functionality - especially the audio fixes, which I haven't put to work yet - I'm waiting for a mono to stereo mini cable for my shotgun mic. This makes sliced bread look lame in comparison. Good luck.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

joe campbell
on Jan 13, 2012 at 8:41:54 pm

Awesome. Thank you so much for the post! I've been reading the site info and stuff but it is really nice to hear from someone in person!

I personally can't wait for the follow focus!

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!!

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jan 13, 2012 at 10:29:14 pm

Have to second Joseph! Nothing to worry.

Got ML on my T2i for a couple of months now. No (serious) problems. With the newer versions (like the before mentioned christmas version), installation is very easy.

One piece of advice: Sometimes the camera "hangs", even turning it off, doesn't help. If that happens, just remove the battery, wait a couple of seconds and put it in again.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 14, 2012 at 6:27:38 pm

Peter is right about the "hang". It's critical to get the battery out immediately, since there's something mentioned in the ML docs about a loop being created which can cause damaging heat to build up. According to the ML docs, you just put the battery back in, reboot, and good to go. I haven't run into this yet, but I'm still in the testing phase, and haven't taken it out on a paid shoot with ML installed. I want to know the fine points first.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]