FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 to DVD

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick 2746
H.264 to DVD
on Mar 9, 2010 at 5:44:16 pm

I would like to shoot a show that lasts 45 min. using my Canon 7D in PAL. There will be times when I can stop and start recording to overcome the 12 min limit, that's not an issue. My client wants the recording on a standard DVD, unedited. I don't want to go through converting the H.264 to ProRes, then importing it to timeline and sending it to compressor route as the compressor will take a very long time to compress to m2v format for the DVD. Is there a shortcut that I could use? The client wants it on a DVD only to evaluate the performance, not to show to an audience, so slight drop in quality would not matter. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

John-Michael Trojan
Re: H.264 to DVD
on Mar 9, 2010 at 6:54:16 pm

why not take the source h.264 files and render them directly to m2v for studio pro (skip the whole FCP step/ProRes compression)? be sure you have a quick cluster built in qmaster to speed up your render times.

Otherwise - I'm at a post facility with DVD recorders. We could play out your h.264 files in real-time and record them to DVD. If you need source TC burn that would be an extra render step (for which we could use our render farm to kick out new files rather quickly).

Feel free to reach out to me directly. John_Michael@divevisual.com

John-Michael
sr. producer DIVE
John_Michael@divevisual.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:40:18 pm

Yeah I'd buy a DVD recorder you could play out to. Or you might see what happens when you drop those clips directly into DVDSP tracks and do a background MPEG-2 render. Might streamline the process if not the time required. Or you could find out if the client has a computer that has the QuickTime Player and just give them the raw files- that would be the simplest. Why some folks still insist on looking at dailies on SD DVDs in 2010 is beyond me.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Nick 2746
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:04:50 pm

Noah, H.264 is incompatible with DVD SP. DVD is cheaper than giving the clinet a harddrive. We are talking about 16GB+ of material - 45 min of rushes.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:15:37 pm

Just a thought but a 32GB Flash drive would cost you about $50 and you could get it back from the client when they're done...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Nick 2746
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:15:11 pm

Good thinking Noah. I suppose I just need to make sure that the flash drive can deliver the data at fast enogh speed so that the movie doesn't stutter! Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Nick 2746
on Mar 10, 2010 at 4:57:23 pm

Thaks John-Michael. It's a good idea to go straight to Compressor. It takes quite a while to process a 45-50 min movie, and I was thinking of a time effective way of burning it to a DVD. Still bypassing FCP will save time too. I do have a Sony DVD recorder with firewire input but it doesn't talk to my Mac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]